Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

"Which" Consumer Report From 1962 On The Renault 4l

André4Renaults

Enthusiast
When I was a child my Dad subscribed to the Consumers' Association and received the "Which" magazine on a monthly basis. Every 3 months there was a "Motoring Which" & one of the earliest ones was in 1962, in which a Mini Traveller, a Morris Minor Traveller, a Ford Anglia estate and a Renault 4l were tested. I wondered if anyone (apart from me....) had ever seen this article and if it had ever been reprinted anywhere. I should add that my Dad used to bind them in folders & they became my bedtime reading when I was older (I was only aged one when the article was printed, so clearly I remember it from some time after it was printed!)

I remember one of the photos in the article showing the Renault dramatically cornering with the comment that this could damage the tyres. It also said that it had been supplied without an ignition key (?) Apparently early Renault 4 cars didn't have a key to start the engine....

Anyone seen this article anywhere?

My 1962 van has no key, just an on and off switch. It does have door locks though so no that easy to nick

Brilliant! Glad I didn't dream it!

That must be THE greatest anti-theft device "in the world!"

If I have time today I'll contact the Consumers' Association & see if these articles are still available. Given its age I cannot see copyright being a problem.

one of my cars has no ignition key....just a poxy key card...laguna2 junk

I've been onto the Consumers' Association this morning, only to be told that they are unable to help me in re-printing a copy of the magazine in question. I'm not beaten yet, though! Libraries must keep back copies of these magazines & I'm going to pursue a copy this way next...

More later....

I can't believe a consumer association doesn't keep records of all its tests?

I must admit its one of those magazines I love reading, but have never been able to find out how much it costs?

Most libraries I've used take which, so you may be fruitful in your endeavours.

......Which is handy, as I only live in Barnet, just down the road! I'm still planning to dig up a copy of this somehow!

Latest update: Been onto the British Library & they have EVERY copy of "Which", from 1958 onwards.... AND they're happy for photocopies to be taken, provided it's not for commercial gain. Suffice it to say that this website does NOT constitute "commercial gain" so I'm off to St. Pancras, complete with 2 forms of identity, to see what I can find...

This is better than Len Deighton!

Oh that is good news - you can usually rely on the BL when you are after a rare book or magazine article / academic paper as they have such a large collection :) !

Back