Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Yellow Headlights

Out of interest, is there any modern car fitted with yellow headlights, even as an option?

Xenon headlights are considered white, despite of having a blueish tint.

Out of interest, is there any modern car fitted with yellow headlights, even as an option?
I don't think so but my neighbour's modern Fiat 500 came with yellow auxiliary lights (low down in the bumper, so I assume they're fog lights).

The rules for lights lower than 400mm (generally "under the bumper" lamps) are different to those for the car's ordinary lights. These lights may be either white OR yellow BUT the important point is that they can only be used "in conditions of fog or falling snow". On most recent cars the car's switching puts the front fog lights (if fitted) on BEFORE the rear fog lamps, and usually are automatically switched off when the car's side lights are turned off, thus setting the car's lights back to "normal" next time they're switched on.

Cars registered before September 1965 (yes, we all own one of those-well, we might....) once the sidelights are switched on, are allowed to have ONE white spot lamp to the offside and ONE yellow fog lamp to the nearside. The thinking was that the yellow fog lamp on the nearside would light the pavement, so pedestrians would be visible, and the white spot lamp would "slice through" the fog, with a pencil-like beam, alerting on-coming drivers to the car's presence. I should explain that I'm over 60 years old, and I've NEVER driven a vehicle with this lighting combination in fog, so I can't comment on how effective (or ineffective...) it is!

Back