Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Spanish Chassis Number

bob_g

Enthusiast
I'm looking for the chassis number on my car - the car is (I understand) a spanish built car from 1988, and so the chassis plate isn't the same as the other ones I've seen.

Rectangular plate on passenger side of bulkhead :

FABRICACION
DE AUTOMIVILES
RENAULT DE ESPANA SA

B0016
VS51128xx
J00017xx (stamped)

1090kg
1095kg
1520kg
2650kg

And the oval plate on the drivers side of the bulkhead is:

E029xxx

Can someone decipher which (if any) is the chassis number, and where I should be able to find it on the chassis?

The chassis number is stamped on the top of the front crossmember underneath the front of the RHS seat. Move the seat back and go in there with a torch and you should be able to make it out. That location is peculiar to Spanish made R4s.

It'll be the number starting with VS51128.

The number stamped in the chassis is, as you say, the number beginning VS, followed by the number beginning J0 :)

Job done:D

Do the numbers tell me anything else exciting?

Not much, except for 43 161 (43=berline "luxe", 161=equipment code according to country of destination)

I don't know what the Spanish numbers mean. The 1128 part means a latish car with 1108cc engine. In the Spanish case it is mixed with a load of features from earlier cars with a few special extras that can come in really handy if you want to fit a late engine into an early car (sadly that's where mine went).

Back