Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My First Renault 4

I just managed to find a better close up photo of the LHD throttle cable that I mentioned earlier, showing how much it has vibrated and sawed it's way nearly all the way down to the steering column! And was bodged in place by piece of foam.

IMG_20180307_164017903.jpg

Some nice new old stock F6 van anti roll bars were fitted to the front and rear as well as a couple of new Decarbon shock absorbers on the front to boot, the rear shocks seem to be relatively new and in good condition so we left them in place. So it will handle nice and sporty when on the road :laughing:.

The rocker cover, my preferred style of Portuguese type air filter and battery shelf were all cleaned and painted in quite a soft pale blue reminiscent of Gulf Racing Blue which makes a nice contrast with the yellow and really livens the engine bay up a notch from the normal gloss black.

IMG_20181015_165304603.jpg

The tailgate had a bit of corrosion in a strange place where the lock is attached, so Dad fashioned a little plate to fill weld into the missing area where the metal had rusted away.

IMG_20181023_121610166.jpgIMG_20181023_125512788.jpg

On a different note all the inside body area has been painted in preparation for the external body painting which will be done very soon, with pictures of that coming in the near future.

IMG_20181022_154204034.jpg

It's looking great Harry, nice to see it yesterday in the metal when I visited your Dad at his workshop. I particularly like the stainless "erbert " exhaust :clapping:

The tailgate had a bit of corrosion in a strange place where the lock is attached, so Dad fashioned a little plate to fill weld into the missing area where the metal had rusted away.

View attachment 21970

On a different note all the inside body area has been painted in preparation for the external body painting which will be done very soon, with pictures of that coming in the near future.
For a fleeting moment there I thought you'd fitted a 13 amp accessory socket to your car! Sorry, those 3 slots look like a perfect 13 amp socket!

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the car fresh out of the paint shop and the beginning of the reassembly to make it whole again. This picture just shows how varied the colour looks under different lights compared to previous images.

IMG_20181106_144524363.jpg

New bumpers from Melun Retro are now fitted and considering they are reproduction items they feel weighty and have nice and smooth finish to the chrome , hopefully they will stand up to the British weather! I have also cleaned up all the windows and the rubber seals, which are going to be fitted soon.

You'll notice the stainless steel "erbet" exhaust system that Brian mentioned, which is definitely to my and most likely his standards/requirements especially in size, not necessarily to my father who would call it "excessive" but then he does wonder where the influence for my ideas come from. I wanted twin shotgun pipes, Nissan Skyline style :p, and they give it a nice grumbly burble for a small engine but it isn't too loud so hopefully I won't be upsetting too many people.

IMG_20181107_120012127.jpg

That's looking really nice Harry, the colour does suit the 4, very retro. I'm looking forward to seeing what other "erbert" bits you are going to fit. Chrome bumper looks great too.

my favourite colour for the R4 - looking ACE
That's looking really nice Harry, the colour does suit the 4, very retro. I'm looking forward to seeing what other "erbert" bits you are going to fit. Chrome bumper looks great too.

Cheers guys, it's just what we were looking for in the colour and there's a few more "erbet" bits to come ;).

The work you're doing is great, the customisation done without excess and the result is looking really great.
Can't wait to see it finished!

I’m convinced the colour of mine took a little while to settle down. It was an almost fluorescent turquoise when first painted and now a delightful Blue

Back