Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

160mm rear brakes again

seujimmy

Enthusiast
Still wanted any R4 850cc 160mm rear brake plates i'm not bothered if the ajusters are siezed or rounded off as long as there other wise sound.Also require the brake shoe springs and the 'U' shaped hold down clips new or used.

Last edited:
I remember some talk about differences between backplates for different years - though that might have been the front. What year is your car?

Are you in a hurry? Might have some seized to a car, but don't really fancy taking them off until I strip it (poss spring).

are you trying to make me feel guilty nigel ? promise iwill send the new ones asap
fixed my front brakes today
managed one rear got very stressed with rounded 10mm bolts had to angle grind cylinder off
provided other side is no more of a challenge will let you have everything leftover i dont need
some of the new cylinders i have got are bigger than (19mm on my car) maybe vans or 1108 ?
cheers paul

I believe 1966-86? 850cc models (i think the larger engined R4s may have 180mm brakes and the handbrake on the rear, but don't take it as gospel) this is the model that has the hand brake on the front brakes so if there is no cable going to the rear brakes there possibly 160mm. Brake shoes are also only 26mm wide while the 180mm are32mm? wide.I will have them as soon as you can get around to them if there correct, if its spring well so be it .I'll just have to rebuild the kitchen if i must!.

are you trying to make me feel guilty nigel ? promise iwill send the new ones asap
fixed my front brakes today
managed one rear got very stressed with rounded 10mm bolts had to angle grind cylinder off
provided other side is no more of a challenge will let you have everything leftover i dont need
some of the new cylinders i have got are bigger than (19mm on my car) maybe vans or 1108 ?
cheers paul

:eek:No not in the least .You know i'm starting to collect them in every shade of black and rust.;) I have always had good results useing hexagon impact sockets far better than bihex type just rive them either way and snap the heads off.

ah yes but that trick only works if the back plate is of the car after you destroy the wheel bearing as well !!!
and if id taken them off i suppose i could of fitted the new ones !!!!
forums much better now my new year resolution is cutting down on PMs

Malcolm please tell everybody else that they are allowed to join in and post because we are all a bit mad anyway and a problem shared is a problem halved

ps i suppose you could allow anono-mouse posts to Dear Clementine

brake fun

Dear Clementine ,
just to tell you thanks to your sympathetic listening to my tales of woe when i went round to do the other side everything came apart perfectly no angle grinders or swearing needed !!

however the front brakes that i *Fixed* or so i thought were still imbalanced according to the nice MOT man down the road
no option but to take front hub bearings apart on drum brake R4s to change cylinders all went well until i found the pair? of front cylinders i had were both right hand side !!!
good news Quinton hazell still list them but cant get any till tuesday (£6.00each trade)

anyway clementine if you are still listening ,had a rummage in a long forgotten box in the workshop no cylinders but rear brake spring kit x2 for nigel !!

and ---- some brand new R4 inlet and ex valves genuine renault
but left part numbers at workshop if you are interested let me know

also found a load of R4/5 chrome wheel nuts ,alloy sleeve nuts and afew odd plastic gtl nut covers

I like the Dear Clementine. Adds a nice warm cosy feel to the forum and will baffle people no end. I'm probably OK for valves for the time being - planning to move towards the Gordini engines as soon as I get mine on the road.

Those Renault drum brakes seem a lot easier to set up than VW ones - never managed to balance a set of those.

Back