Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1971 Renault4 850cc accelerator cable

billythefish

Enthusiast
Has any one out there any idea where I can purchase a 1971 Renault4 850cc ( 1123 )accelerator cable, I just managed to crawl home after my cable snapped by attaching a piece of string to the the broken cable and hand holding it through the window to get me that last few miles.
Any help would be appreciated.

These people have been about for years - send them your own cable and they will make a new one. Only trouble is that your car will be off the road. Alternatively Renault may be able to help as they used to sell a universal accelerator kit for our cars. I can't remember what an early accelerator cable loooks like, but well done for gettting home using string!!
http://www.speedycables.com/cables.html

throttle cable

Thanks Steve,
I just went onto Ebay and bought one for less than £14 with the postage , it said that it fitted all R4 1123 1965 onwards, so fingers crossed.
I always have a few odds and ends in the old car just in case, I first tried the wife's knickers elastic but found that it was a bit too strong and I had to settle for the bit of string.
:p

if your stuck pop round to nearest bike shop use derailier gear inner cable and feed through old outer as carb end is clamped nipple type so easy to sort

Does that apply to all R4's. If so it sounds as if it might be worth keeping one in the bottom of the toolbox just in case - alongside the binder twine od course!

I have also joined the two broken pieces of original wire together with an electrical conector, cut the plastic outer off and there's a lovely little brass wire holder inside that's just the job for connecting broken cables back together.

• orange connectors.JPG
    orange connectors.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,986
throttle cable

That's what I love about this old car, I know that if I break down at least it will some how get back home again.
I must admit these are some good sound suggestions guys and without the aid of alcoholic beverages.

back on the road again

After buying a universal bike gear cable for the grand sum of £2.99p at a local cycle shop and taking all of 5 minutes to attach it, I am now back on the road again.
Thanks once again to all those that replied.
:hug:

Cable

universal bike gear cable

This is a creative and worthwhile solution. Well done!
Depending on the thickness of the inner cable, it could be a little more temporary than you might like. On the other hand it could be a stroke of genius that may serve you for a long time. See how your experiment goes and report back!

Regards,

David

glad to assist used bike gear cables many times in the past on r4s
bike brake cables usually too thick
have also used electrical block connectors to make a nipple on other cars
happy new year by the way

paul

I bought mine from Halfords ( I call them local because they are just down the road ) it is their own brand and there is no need to cut one of the ends of as it does not have a stub on both ends.

Back