Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1972 R4L FASA Coolant pressure

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
I have cleaned out the coolant system as best I can and hoped that would be the end of any over heating problems . The engine runs nicely and I don't seem to loose any coolant but my question is does the system develop pressure normaly because mine doesn't ? I changed the overflow tank because it was split and put on a tank from a 1982 R4GTL could this be the problem as the tank top could have a different pressure rating .
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I don´t see how changing the overflow bottle could cause any major problems. As far as my knowledge concerns, the change from glass to plastic for model year 1978 was not accompanied by any major changes in the engine (not in the least for Spain, there the only engine was the 852cc Sierra, whereas in France in 1978 the GTL was introduced, with 1108cc, next to the simpler 4L and 4 with 728 and 845cc). Anyway, if the system heats up, the coolant expands into the overflow bottle, and if the pressure becomes really too high (boiling fluid) it should escape through the valve.

I don´t see how changing the overflow bottle could cause any major problems. As far as my knowledge concerns, the change from glass to plastic for model year 1978 was not accompanied by any major changes in the engine (not in the least for Spain, there the only engine was the 852cc Sierra, whereas in France in 1978 the GTL was introduced, with 1108cc, next to the simpler 4L and 4 with 728 and 845cc). Anyway, if the system heats up, the coolant expands into the overflow bottle, and if the pressure becomes really too high (boiling fluid) it should escape through the valve.
Hi there . It wasn't the fact I had changed the overflow container it was because different vehicles have different pressures in the cooling system hence the overflow container would have different value pressure release valves ans I wondered if the valve was compatable with my system .

Back