Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1983 R4 van projec

Disgusted

Enthusiast
Photo_04_04_2015_13_50_11.jpg
Photo_04_04_2015_13_50_01.jpg

This is my new project, collected today. It was originally white but has been hand-painted green, and then has started to flake off and been painted black to protect the metal! It has some rust in the outer wings and needs some welding to the floor. It drives fairly well although it doesn't start too well so I will do a bit of a service and set up the ignition and carburettor.

Ah you are the guy that got this. Well done. My finger was hovering over the bid button at the last moment. I think you got it at a good price.
Will certainly be very interested to see what you do with it.

Lots of pictures please of what you do. No excuse these days with digital cameras.
If I can manage it, at my age, then anyone can!!:clapping:

congrats.......l advice to start with engine check up before anything else....avoid breakdown in the middle of traffic

I am in love....my big wish....let him live long and prosper!

Please do document all process for us who are not that lucky to own one of these

Another well cool project. Liking that gutter line. had no idea they deviated like that . Thought they stopped and started on the wider section. Liking very much the lift up section over the rear door. If you make it into a micro camper it would be good when you are having a fry up in the back . Actually a friend of mine used to work for Renault and they had one of these in the parts department. Ken reckoned they got 90 out of it once with new exhausts stacked up in the back and poking out of that lift up section. Well done with your purchase we look forward to your postings. I've certainly found it most encouraging to be on here. You don't feel on your own with it all

Looks good, i would refurbish all the running gear and brakes and run it as it is giving it the used look :laughing:

Thanks for all the replies. I took it for an MoT today and it failed on the front floor, exhaust leak and indicators as expected, as well as a couple of other bits of bodywork, front sidelights, CV boot and some minor items.

Will put photo evidence of progress as I go :-)

I have ordered some parts from Der Franzose website recommended on here, does anyone know how long the parts will take from Germany?

Ah well not to bad then you'll soon have it sorted, can't remember now as it's awhile since i've ordered goods from them.

Parts from franzose came to me ( Croatia) within 10 working days...2 weeks when you add weekends, and depending what day in week you ordered

Photo%2010-04-2015%2019%2033%2056%20%281%29.jpg

I wanted to fix this rust hole in the driver's side (left) sill. First job was to remove the door for better access.

Photo%2010-04-2015%2020%2046%2012%20%281%29.jpg

Then I cut out the rusty section.

Photo%2010-04-2015%2020%2046%2022%20%281%29.jpg

Photo%2011-04-2015%2021%2013%2020%20%281%29.jpg

Without any special tools for making panels I cut out some metal sheet with tin snips and hammered it around various different shaped bits of metal until I had a part the right shape. This method does leave dozens of tiny dents which I have had to hammer out and I think a thin skim of filler may be needed to finish off.

When the outer panel shown above was the right shape I made a flatter one to go behind it to add strength and welded the two together. I thought I took a photo but can't find it now.

Photo%2025-04-2015%2021%2022%2043%20%281%29.jpg

Here is the part welded on and the welds ground down. I won't pretend to be the world's best welder and am used to welding things a bit thicker than car bodywork but it is on there.

Photo%2025-04-2015%2021%2026%2029%20%281%29.jpg

A quick coat of primer helps to give a better idea of what grinding or filling is required (easier to see when it is all one colour). The shape is not 100% perfect but I am happy with it as a first attempt. Once I have done all the other bits and have more practice I might come back to this bit and redo it!

Looks like a fine piece of welding to me. But I'm no expert welder.

Had I known would have added your name to list wanting original cill section. I will have some available soon.

Oh and just in case - that's the fuel line running behind there

Back