Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1985 R4 GTL dud battery.

Andy Sherlock

Enthusiast
Hi, a while since I logged on.
Still all good stuff.
I have a 1985 R4 GTL and I am about to replace a dud battery.
The battery has screw on terminals.
Are you able to tell me if these screw on terminals are part of the battery or are they removable?
The reason I ask is that the screw on terminals appear to be permanently fixed to the battery. However, if I go on line to order a battery, the suggestion is that the posts supplied with the battery are not screw on!
Thanks for your help in anticipation.

I just added a photo of what I've got.
Doesn't really show the terminal posts exposed but may it help.

• 100_0593.jpg
    100_0593.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 217
Hi Andy

What are those 5 round things with tubes? - look like something out of Intensive Care!

The terminals, seemingly welded to the battery posts, did not come adrift when I undid them. However your stating that they are removable encouraged me to get a little physical with them and sure enough they came off, so thanks very much for the advice.

Those round things are indeed air horns, and they play ‘la-cu-ca-ra-cha’, very loud!

i lived near Jimmy Saville in the 60s and 70s, He had the same, and always gave us kids a burst when he went past, i bought my first car in 1972, and the first thing i did was get the same horns with that tune, they cost more than the car then, boy did they get me in trouble, Future father in law was going to shove them somewere were it hurts. :eek:

They go down a storm here too, particularly at the pelican crossings when the old folk are crossing!

Back