Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4GTL '4x4' 1.4?

AQuags

Enthusiast
Hi all,

First post here so be gentle.

I've just aquired a very clean and original 4GTL on a 'B' plate via EBay with a genuine 33k on the clock. I want to smarten it up a little and have already started by fitting a set of brand new R5 Gordini wheels complete with unused Michelin tyres, that I found on the excellent R5 Gordini site at www.r5gordini.co.uk for only fifty quid. I've also been looking at the possibility of a '4x4' conversion using the Sinpar kit as well as fitting a 1.4 engine from a Renault 5. Also would the power steering from one of the later model Mk1 R5's fit a 4GTL?

Does anyone have any experience of the R4 Sinpar 4x4? There are some pretty fairly priced LHD ones available in France and I assume it wouldn't be that difficult to transfer the transmission over to my RHD model.

Any ideas or comments??

Cheers.

Andy.

Last edited:
Don't worry - we're all friendly. Don't think a Renault 4 forum is the kind of place you find angry types. The R4 sounds great. Was it the red one that cropped up recently? That one must have been garaged - most of the red ones are orange these days.

I've not heard of anyone fitting power steering to a Renault 4, but things from the Mk1 R5 tend to fit the R4 very well. The front track is the same (at least that's my assumption as the R5 driveshafts fit) so as long as the steering arms are the same length I can't see a problem in fitting power steering.

The 1.4 engine is relatively easy to fit, and doubles the horsepower quite nicely as well as improving driveability. I gather the ones with auto boxes are more tricky to fit, but there are ways around.

Sinpar 4*4? No idea. I gather the bits for Sinpars are getting very rare, and they were designed for tiny engines and tiny tyres, so doubling power and increasing tyre width might expose any weakness. The 850cc Sinpars were more common, but I think they did make some 1108cc versions whicch is the version you would need. It was a conversion from a fully built car as far as I am aware, so it ought to be possible to swap parts over. Best info I've found is in French (or Google translation)

Sounds like a fun project.

Don't worry - we're all friendly. Don't think a Renault 4 forum is the kind of place you find angry types. The R4 sounds great. Was it the red one that cropped up recently? That one must have been garaged - most of the red ones are orange these days.
SNIP

The R4 was this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180018465142&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:UK:12

It was the second time of auctioning as the first winner failed to contact the seller within the alotted time so he put it back up for sale again.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a decent 1.4 unit, I don't think I fancy the 'turbo' route just now.

Cheers.

Andy.

Sounds like the start of a Marreau Brother's Paris Dakar R4x4 replica, with an R5 Alpine Group 2 1.4 motor and 130 bhp :-)l

There's an engine between the ordinary 1.4 (63hp) and the turbo (120hp?). The non-turbo Gordini engine used in the R5 Mk1 Gordini has 93hp. It's got the crossflow head like the turbo engine, has a lovely top end performance and excellent tractability. I'm planning to use one for my next project.

Sounds perfect, I'll keep a lookout for one of those. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.
Any ideas of the best places to look? I've already tried EBay and the R5 Gordini site I mentioned above. I presume the R5 Alpine is the same model for mainland Europe?

There's an engine between the ordinary 1.4 (63hp) and the turbo (120hp?). The non-turbo Gordini engine used in the R5 Mk1 Gordini has 93hp. It's got the crossflow head like the turbo engine, has a lovely top end performance and excellent tractability. I'm planning to use one for my next project.

Still no joy finding one of these engines! :-((
Is it possible to enhance a 1.4 from a TX with after market parts to get the same effect?

A further thought. It seems to me that there are more 'Turbo' engines available than 'Atmo' ones. In view of this would it also be possible to remove the turbo and detune it to 'Atmo' spec?

Still no joy finding one of these engines! :-((
Is it possible to enhance a 1.4 from a TX with after market parts to get the same effect?

There's a guy who writes on Andys Gordini site who goes under the name Phildini, he recently posted a similar question to yourself, regarding whether or not it was possible to remove the turbo parts and get a normal 'Atmo'.
I'd be interested to know myself if it's possible, also if it's possible to fit the crossflow head to the normal 1.4 as a performance booster!

I'd be interested to know myself if it's possible, also if it's possible to fit the crossflow head to the normal 1.4 as a performance booster!

The N/A Alpine motor is 10:1 compression, the Alpine Turbo is 8.6:1, the main difference being that the Turbo motor has low compression pistons. Also the Alpine N/A and Turbo blocks have the cam running in removable camshaft bearings, the “normal” 1.1, 1.3 and 1.4 cams run in the block, so it isn’t just a simple matter of swapping the Alpine head and cam into a GTL block, but it isn't impossible either.

Back