Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

5 sp Gearbox

grahamdelooze

Hello,
Im not a R4 owner although my first car was a R6 that my dad bought in 73' and I had a R5 Gordini and a couple of GT turbos in the late 80'

Im currently looking at fitting a 5 sp box in a Hillman imp hence the return to Renault.

A bit of homework shows several very different types used in R4 and R5. I would like light or less bulky and short but gear change at the end of the box would be good.
An HA1 with a 4.125 diff seems like its got good close ratios as imps have little torque even well tuned

I like the look of a split case presumably alloy type 385 but I don't know how long they are. and a bit higher geared.
NG5 looks good with gear change at the end but probably bigger with high gears.

Any thoughts or spare boxes for sale?

Graham

OK just noticed the 385 and NG5 are Gordini so probably out. Im happy to continue to explore the HA1 if anyone's got one.
Graham

There is no HA1 with 4.125:1 FD, the most common version as fitted on the 5GTL had a very tall 3.1:1 ratio. There was a lower FD version, I can't recall if it was 3,44:1 or 3.77:1, but harder to locate than the GTL one.
The 385 had a FD ratio of 3.87:1 as fitted on the Alpine (Gordini), but there were more options (including a 4.125:1 FD for the Gr.2 Alpine) because this gearbox had been fitted on much more cars than the HA1.

Hello Angel thanks for response. Are you sure, I read it was F6 with 4.125. That is a shame as it would have given me a very close ratio box with 3.83 2.23 1.46 1.17 0.95

I may have a bigger problem as I understand there are clockwise and anticlockwise engines. I need to determine Renault direction or if the diff can be turned over in the box like on the VW transaxle.

Graham

The F6 gearbox is 4 speed (as on any R4/R6) HA0/354. It's hardly possible to fit the crownwheel/pinion from a 4 speed box to a 5 speeder, because the pinion is incorporated in the mainshaft, which is obviously different on each box. It may only be possible after major surgery (cutting and re-welding the mainshaft/pinion).

Regarding the 5 speed gearbox, be it HA1 or 385/NG it was only fitted on clockwise turning engines so it should not be of any problem to you (the Imp engine turns clockwise as far as I can recall).
I don't think the square-top gearboxes (HA1) will fit the Imp, they are shorter but wider and bulkier over the top.

Back