Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

a funny rattle

muttley

Hello,

Just came across this site. I just bought a 4L in Finistère (right on the west of France). It's an 87, so not a true classic but very lovely all the same. Anyway, then I drove it to Helsinki where I work.

Er, this may have been too ambitious as now it has a worrying rattle that kicks in right after i change gear. Anyone know what this is, :?: it doesn't happen when the engine's still cold.

Welcome to the forum.

Rattles are tricky. Can you describe the rattle a little more? Does it only happen on gear changing, or does it happen if you drive at a slow speed, jab the throttle, then lift off the throttle? Also does it happen if you press the clutch pedal without changing gear?

How long does the rattle last for? Does it stop if you hold onto the gear lever?

Rattles are very difficult to diagnose in cyberspace. Common causes of rattles in the 4 engine are 1) Timing chain 2) Tappets 3) The jockey wheel on the fanbelt adjuster 4) The gear lever rattling - can't think of anything else...

Steve

"kicks in right after i change gear"...this reminds me a very common R4 noise, the exhaust pipe hitting against the inner wing through the hole,due to softened engine mountings or badly adjusted exhaus position.But it is more "knock" rather than "rattle"...!

that rattle

Hi

thanks for your replies and i should have said before that the site is great - am already planning to do a respray sometime, (inspired by the pics).

Anyway, this rattle. It's true that the plastic casing the gear lever slides through is worn but i've tried really holding the lever in on gear change and the noise is still there. One funny thing is that when the choke is out the rattle practically disappears.

I'll check where the exhaust goes through the inner wing, but the noise is more of a fast ticking rattle. It doesn't happen if i just press the clutch but it starts if i jab the throttle at low speeds, especially going uphill.

Maybe it is the timing chain - it sounds like it comes from somewhere round there. and Steve, could you give me a clue what the tappets are and where to find them?

By the way, anyone want to try for northernmost Renault four? I'm hoping to take this one up to Lapland in the spring.

Sorry - the tappets are an old fashioned mechanics term for valve clearances. You'll need to take the rocker cover off to check them - sounds as if you need to buy a workshop manual..

Steve

RATTLE

i am not technically minded however my R4 gtl always had what I described to my mechanic as a rattle particularly when changing gears and very noticeable when under load eg. going up a hill. A friend told me it was the engine "pinking" however I wouldn't accept that as it was ( to me ) a definite rattle. After 2 years of "rattling" I had the timing checked properly, it was pinking and has now disappeared totally. I thought it was a vibration from the exhaust as it was a very "tinny" sort of rattle

Thanks Steve, you're right - i needed a manual. I've got one and the fog's really lifting.

Thanks Dave, I think you've nailed it there - worse uphill and with a load.

I'll let you all know what it was when it's history.

Back