Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Advice on Selling

pmwilliams

Hello,

I am hoping that someone might be able to offer me a little bit of advice (and may be even a rough valuation) on a 1983 Renault 4 GTL that I am looking to sell.

The car it’s self is in good working order, it has 12 months, 60,000 miles on the clock and is garage stored. Having looked at the price guide given on the ‘Renault 4’ website the suggested sale price is somewhere between £1,000 - £2,000. Although the car is in good working order rust is starting to show (mostly under the paint work) on some of the panels. Since ownership (approximately 18 months) money has been spent on new engine mounts, two new front tyres & a fuel saver in addition to the normal servicing & maintenance expenses. I notice that many of the classic car magazines offer free advertising, is this a good place to start?

In short I would be grateful of any advice on offer.

Many Thanks,

Phil.

• Renalt4.jpg
    Renalt4.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 201
List it on here with a few good photos,some high res ones with close ups on the paintwork,underneath and inside

you might think most ppl already have one and wont be looking for another,but i joined up when i started to look for one and bought one from here avoiding ebay etc

also theres a good free site called car and classic, ive sold a old car on there too and its free to advertise
lastly ebay i guess although lots of time wasters and it will sell for less i think

as for value a suppose it depends on the underneath more than the body panels but ive seen similar ones being sold for £1200-1600
what they actually got for them i dont know
hope that helps
matt

your car

hi
have just been sent your thread by Matt/.
I am looking for a R4 at about that price, can you tell me a bit more about it?
mileage and condition of the chassis?
also where in Herts are you.
tnks

Thank you for your enquiry.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your interest in the Renault 4.

The truth is I have delayed advertising the car ‘for sale’ as I have been waiting for my parents to take some more detailed photos of the body work to give any prospective buyers a better idea of the general condition. I do not currently have any of the documentation for the car in my possession as it actually belongs to my mother and lives with her in Worcester.

I bought the car as a gift about 18 months ago but unfortunately my parents rarely use the car and it spends most of its time sitting in their garage. I last drove the car about 2 weeks ago and can confirm that the current mileage is 60,893. Before I purchased the car I did have a mechanic friend look at it for me and at that time he thought the chassis was in good condition. As the car has recently passed its MOT with out any problems I assume this still to be the case. I have also found a picture of the engine bay & interior on my camera which hopefully I have uploaded successfully for your reference.

Once I have all relevant documentation & photos I will list the car for sale, in the meantime if you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks again.

Phil.

• Renalt4EngineBay.jpg
    Renalt4EngineBay.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Renalt4EngineBayB.jpg
    Renalt4EngineBayB.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Renalt4Interior.jpg
    Renalt4Interior.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 126
Hi,
Lovely car.
not meaning to hijack a thread but in these times of escalating fuel prices what's a fuel saver?
thanks

If a fuel saver is anything like a carbon Flo, and it looks the same externally, there are metal pellets inside that steel tube which are made from a combination of metals one of which is tin. These were developed during the second world war to increase the octane rating of "pool fuel" for the Merlin engine, a side effect is it can make your engine more efficient. I've had these in my old side valve harley for almost 20 years and my Daimler Dart for nine years and they do seem to work, although maybe only 3% to 5% better fuel consumption, I really fitted so I could stop valve seat decay, difficult to tell whether they help with this as the valve seats would have been work hardened by the time I fitted the carbon flo. Interestingly they have to have the body earthed, this one doesn't seem to be?.
Sorry about the highjack.
Alan.

Fuel Saver

Hello,

To answer your question the ‘Fuel Saver’ is a device that negates the need to use a fuel additive when adding petrol to the car. I had this one fitted by a local garage when I first bought the car and at the time they advised me that they fit a lot of these to old cars that used to run on leaded petrol. I have quickly checked with the garage that fitted it and they have advised me that this particular fuel saver does not need to be earthed.

I’m afraid that’s about as much as I know on the subject, I hope this helps...

Thanks,

Phil.

i did read these were a bit like "old snake oil" !
anyone know if they work?

i suppose the best test is a long motorway stint in a r 4 on unleaded and see if the valve either burns out or the gap closes up

anyone fancy a roadtest?? lol

nice car though, a similar looking conditon one-from a few pictures anyhow not a proper comparision by any means just sold on ebay for £1200 i think it was

Back