Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Advice required

Traficvan

Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum and hoping that someone is able to advise me on the possibility of converting to disc brakes on my 1997 Renault Trafic. I already have discs on the front and had the drums looked at last year as the dust inside the drum is causing a lot of squealing when damp. The mechanic who serviced them had great difficulty finding and replacing new crown nuts and, on one side, had to re-use the original. Mileage is very low so I have no great concern, but long term I am concerned that it will be a challenge with parts (any good places for parts?).

A solution is the conversion. Is it possible? Is it possible without changing the axel? What conversion kit would be needed?

Though there is a trick that might reduce drum brake squeal - stick some self adhesive tyre balancing weights on the edge of backplate. They change the frequency that the backplate is efficient at radiating noise.

Thank you all for the help and advice. I’ll follow the forum link and look into the back plate weights. Much obliged.

Back