Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Any possibility of a look see. Car and van

Ian T

Enthusiast
Hi everyone

I’m dithering about trying to decide on a van or a car, I don’t mind either way but the deal with the wife is that we have to be able to sit with dog in the back when we park up for a cuppa, nothing more.

It’s been a few years and I can’t remember or picture the available space to work out options.

So I would really appreciate it if anyone nearish to me that has a car also someone with an F6 van that I could just look see. Fully understand not letting me crawl all over it so just a look through the doors and windows would be fab, then I can either dismiss one option or increase options to both.

It would be so wonderful if someone could facilitate it.

Kindest regards

Ian

Hi Ian... although I'm nearby at York, our R4 was sold last year so I can't offer you a (socially-distanced) viewing. However, with your priorities, remember the F4 van has only two front doors, whereas the TL/GTL car has four. They are small cars. If you really, really need MPV flexibility, how about a Renault Kangoo? In many ways, it's the spiritual successor to the R4, lots around, characterful and relatively inexpensive, some as WAV (wheelchair accessible), maybe even the Trekka 4x4?

Hi John

It’s very kind of you to get in touch so quickly, I realise they are small, I have always wanted one, the curveball was the wife wanting to sit in the back with the dog. We don’t need much room so I am thinking with a car I can possibly just reverse the rear seats, easy access and should be enough room for the mutt at the end, she likes the idea of the tail gate opening, wife that is not the dog, she likes everything..

I think from copious reading and guidance on here already that the rear of the F4 is similar in space to the car so the other option is the F6, just like the wonderful examples shared in my other post.

I really just need to see in the flesh to settle me confusions.

My kayak and bike escapades can go on a roof rack if needed.

Thanks again for your kind response

Hi Ian
I know it's not as good as actually seeing an F6, but these pictures might help. The reversed rear seat - not fitted to the windowless F6 - fits nicely between the front seats and the wheel arches (I don't think this would work in a car, though). Quite comfortable, but not a great deal of room for two pairs of legs and a dog! Note that the rear seat isn't attached in any way.20210305_111451.jpg20210305_111445.jpg20210305_110944.jpg20210305_110816.jpg

Hi Andy

This is fantastic and thank you so much, great visual just what I needed. Am I correct in thinking the passenger seat folds flat then tips forward. I know someone has already said some do but I can’t remember if it is the vans, think it is.

Thank you again this is great stuff

Kindest regards

Ian

Hi again
This is the folding passenger seat fitted to vans. Brilliant for transporting long lengths of timber, freezers, etc!20210305_143824.jpg20210305_143839.jpg20210305_143857.jpg

That’s the one. Thanks again. Picture tell a thousand etc etc.

Totally brilliant and ever so kind.

Now just gotta get me one with windows.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Yup they both look wonderful and cheap but no way of getting them back, so looks like I’ll have to stick to good old Blighty.

Cheers

Ian

Just looking at your seat pictures Andy of front folding passenger seat, its different to mine in the fact mine is padded similar to your drivers seat. Just an ask, do you think if it was on the drivers side this seat would still fold and miss steering wheel (just the back, not tilt)?
Thinking along the lines of two these (1lhd, 1Rhd) in the front of mine, my seating position is more or less the fixed passenger in mine to drive and doing something ‘different’ with the upholstery.
Chances are legality may be suspect but it would also make the rear feel ‘airier’ when using back as camper.

Hi Ian (Laxeian!)
Hope all well with you and the F6.
If you fitted a folding seat to the steering wheel side, the back would fold to a certain extent, but it wouldn't clear the wheel (I haven't actually done this, but it doesn't look as if it'd work (see photo)). There wouldn't be any front-to-back movement, and the back just folds - there's no reclining refinement on them.
The original driver's seat on mine matched the passenger seat, but it had a reclining back and adjusted like a GTL seat. The one in there at the moment (the third!) is from a 70s car.
Hope you're allowed to get out and about in the van soon!
20210306_125136.jpg

Thanks Andy, do like the more period look of the folding seat, 50/60s sports car, grown up frog-eye sprite seats.

Sorry to butt in, but I've seen an F4 version that has a second row of seats and long side windows (still two doors though) - not common, but they exist (at least, I've seen them for sale here in France). There used to be quite a few companies that will transport cars back - if they're doing a run to Spain they're looking for a load to bring back. I got an old S3 Land Rover brought out for 750quid all in as the guy had a load to pick up in Spain and was running empty (pre Brexit though).

Back