Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Any recommendations for mud and snow tyres.

paulandpat

Enthusiast
In view of the weather we have been getting, and the fact that we seem to get a few days each year when its difficult to get out due to snow and the rest of the winter the side roads are often muddy, has anyone got any recommendations for mud and snow tyres. We thought that it might be an idea to get some for the F6 van when we get it up and running. 2 on the front only or all 4 corners?

Don't have a lot in the way of recommendations, but I don't get on with the Technic snow tyres I bought - they are really big and heavy and there's no great improvement in grip.

There's not a lot available in 145/13. I noticed Toyo do some - they might be reasonable for cheap tyres. I've got a set of Avon snow tyres for the MG and they are brilliant in greasy weather, but they aren't available in 145/13.

Which other manufacturers have them in that size? I'd be interested in a set to replace the Technics.

Last edited:
Put the same message on www.downsizer.net and someone recommended Colway! I seem to remember them from my youth, I think they were used on some rally cars.

Finnish-manufactured Haakapelitta win all Scandinavian tests. Continental's Norwegian model, Viking Stop-Steel is also really good in snowy conditions.As with all tyres that are really good on ice/snow these are not so brill.in wet/sleet..
I'd stay off Far-East ones, as they are not nearly as good on "our"snow
Michelin has a tyre called Nordic which is also quite good,but as with most Michelins when they wear they tend to wear very square or flat so they tend to be Heavy-footed and harder to steer nicely around corners..Pirellis generally has rounder shoulder so is easier to steer,but wears faster (All in my own opinion of-course!)
-Now go out and PLAY!!!! -R.

I always thought Nokian were the bees knees for the winter tyre?

Or Vredestein if I remember correctly.

Good Luck getting hold of any Colway, they went bust nearly 2 years ago!

They were what I always used on my car for the winter!

That's a good link - there are many more tyres available than my tyre supplier claimed.

Select winter tyres, go for 145/80/13 and leave everything else as all then select show tyres - there's a fair bit of variety in there. I'm tempted by the Uniroyal ones myself.

HI Pepper...You are right in so much as Haakapellitta is the brandname of Nokia's wintertyres... -I always choose the slimmest tyres I can get away with for winter-use as they give a narrow foot-print with high kg/pr cm2
and you don't have the drifting all over you'd get with fatter tyres. -R.

The price includes postage and packing so is very reasonable.

espcially if like me you have your own tyre fitting machine ;)

Ahh, Hi Reidar, I didn't know that, you learn something new every day. The link I provided doesn't have Nokians in the size we want. But I'm like Malcolm I like Uniroyals too.

Freezing cold here in Norwayland! we've had under -12 for 3weeks.Just now it's -21C.so am sitting with both feet in the fireplace.
Roffen very hesistantly started today-we took a short trip to the local store -still wearing summertyres-Those who claim you can't do serious wheel-spin with a 4 haven't got a clue!!
-Filled a large cup with hot water and tossed in the air (the water-Not the cup c",) instantly you could hear it freeze and came down as snow -well ice crystals. Have my brain frozen solid-Should I get a life pref.somewhere warmer or what?? -R.

We got some Autosocks for our F4. Gave them a try when we had the last lot of snow here - they do give a better grip. They are quicker to fit than chains but you are limited to 50kph (30mph) and you are recommended to remove them on tarmac. If they do tear you just sew them back together.

Just looked at the price of those Autosocks - you could get one and a half snow tyres for that! :o

Yes. But on which wheel do you fit the half tyre :?:

In our case having just got two new summer tyres and no spare wheels for winter tyres they seemed an easy option for those few odd snow days ,until global warming kicked in and we got the long hard winters. :rolleyes:

Finally got around to fitting the Technic snow tyres I have. (They weren't Conways after all). They were sitting on Yvette who was out in the snow and I had been waiting for better weather before going out to change them.

They are a big improvement - especially over the cheap and cheerful worn summer tyres that were on. Not as good as a decent set of snow tyres on icy roads though.

I have two cars fitted with snow tyres:
145/80/13 GoodYear UltraGrip 6 - very good on snow and mud
145/80/13 Kumho KW 7400 - very good on snow and mud, better than GY on wet and cold roads

This is the only car I have that can cope with the snow, I have fitted some old studded M+S tyres I was given a few years ago. They are perished but for running up and down the hill are OK.
Allan

• malibu2.jpg
    malibu2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 100
  • malibu.jpg
    malibu.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 101
what happened to your sinpar 4wd setup be even better on that one then you could fit M+S tyres all round
many years ago took my yellow peril out in the snow great fun for my passengers snowballing passers by !!

Got all the bits but very rusty and will need a lot of work, it wont fit the Malibu as it's 300mm shorter than standard but I have a couple of other cars to put it in when I get the time. There are 5 bike and 4 cars in the queue and I can't decide which to do first!!

Back