Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Are the front and rear wheels different?

RuffianDick

Enthusiast
The front wheels on my R4 look different from the rear ones, its a later one so front discs and rear drums. Are all the wheels interchangeable, or are the front ones specific to discs and the rears to drums?

See the pic.

Cheers
Rich

• IMGP2247.JPG
    IMGP2247.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 214
The rear ones are more normal all round on a GTL. Not sure what the front ones are from - possibly a Renault 5 of some sort.

hi rich
wheel on front is early 5 gtl/ts will be ok as designed for disk brakes and no problem on back either

what wont work is trying to bolt a wheel off 845 drum brake model onto disk braked car
easily identified by lack of air vent holes in rim and (usually but not always) a threaded bolt hole in centre for hub cap ,but they can be used on back safely

are you still stuck for rims ? as could find some in barn if you can wait

paul

Those front ones were fitted to late TL cars called Savanne in France, but were originally from the 5 I think.

The late French GTL R4s called Clans had different wheels again, from the 5 GTL, I believe.

This is indeed a late (88) french TL, does that mean its a Savanne?

Mr Reno, thanks for the offer, but we are sorted now, we managed to pick up a set of alloys from Renospeed for not too much money :p

So the early drum wheels wont go on a later model with disc brakes, but will a later disc wheel go on an earlier drum brake model?

hi again
to answer your Q yes wheelrims with vents (or alloys) off disk braked cars are fine on drum braked cars
hope youve got correct nuts for alloys ?

the clan spoke effect (rostyle) wheels were used on Le Car mk1 5s 1984/5 as runout model before super cinque

oh and when are you off on your trip ?

Nuts?! Might be a problem there!! What nuts do I need? I'm pretty sure we only have the nuts off the original wheels!

The Rally Launch is 19th July (8 days, yikes!) from Hyde Park. Everyones welcome to come along to the launch, there will be at least 2 R4s, and about 200 other old crap cars. Not that implying that the R4 is crap! just old :)

best post some pics of your wheels and we can all decide if they are going to fall off then !
are they gordini ones ? as taper angle different , malcolm has got a bit about it on here somewhere

paul

best post some pics of your wheels and we can all decide if they are going to fall off then !
are they gordini ones ? as taper angle different , malcolm has got a bit about it on here somewhere

paul

:confused::cry::oops::)

I dont know what Gordini wheels are or what they look like, and I cant post photos until tonight. But using my mad MS Paint skillzz ive done an approximation in case you recognise the type.

They dont have spokes but have round holes around the edge (probably more than the six ive done here, but you get the idea), with the the renault badge in the middle

• wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 169
Ive just been informed from my team mate (who picked the wheels up) that we did get a set of nuts for them! So panic over.

I guess that confirms that they take different nuts then for future reference.

Once again cheers for your help everyone.
Rich

Back