Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

bad starting

Greeney in France

Bloody nice bloke actualy
My sons 1984 R4 with 845cc engine is a bad starter in the morning it works on the turn of the key all the time during the day but takes a good 2mins of turning over to get it to fire. I have renewed everything possible plugs, leads, cap, points,condenser air oil fuel filter. done valve clearances,
It runs sweet as a nut once started smooth revvy without an hestitation or fault. i have tried choke in out half pumping accelerator, not touching accelerator:eek:
Any ideas:roll:

Could be the petrol draining back into the tank and taking a long time to fill the carb. Check to see if petrol in carb and for air leaks in pipes
Allan

Well I was thinking on this line too for a start the fuelfilter doesnt seem to keep hold of the petrol I did fit a new pump so checked this and that worked fine so today a bought a smaller filter thinking that might help
How do I stop the fuel flowing back? I have no fuel leaks that I know of!
I will look at the coil too how would that cause such a problem?

Coils can break down inside and produce a weaker spark, or sometimes no spark at all. The easiest way to check for a knackered coil is to substitute with a good known one. If the starting has not improved then at least you have eliminated the coil!!

Back