Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bargain R4l's

Jayman

Enthusiast
I'm living and visiting Slovenia and Croatia and it is just littered with R4L's. The situation is such that most locals do not have time or interest in restoring them but would be glad to have them off their lots and a little money would be a plus. They often just have one car and these are to small and expensive to keep on the road so they just park them by the barn to rust. Ian was saying the going rate is 1000 Euros in tourist city Dubrovnik (in Croatia) but i think you can get them for much less from people i know or local connections rather then as a foreigner with cash to burn. I got a neighbor with two red R4L's and a white one left for dead on the side of the road in the next town that I'm sure the owners would be happy to see gone. Slovenia is EU and probably easier to get paperwork importing or diving it out of the country then Croatia, but Croatia has many too in the same state and I know many there too. anyone interested just send me a PM.

• bargen r4l.jpg
    bargen r4l.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Hello!

I`m from SLovenija... I`m interested for R4! I`m looking for some transmition from Renault 5 series 1 with 5th gear... you know for some?

By

Marko

Thanks for the offer - it's good to know there is someone in Slovenia that can help out. It would make a nice road trip to fly to Slovenia and then drive a Renault 4 home - especially one of those 1992 cars (they were only sold in the UK until 1986).

Welcome over, though i'm not sure how you'd start with the papers to drive one over unless it still has plates. There is many a 90's model here but all left side dive which is fine till you hit the UK.

How do they do plates over there? Is it like Germany where you have to give the plates back to the government when the car isn't being used. If it still had plates it should be possible to insure the car over the telephone and drive it back. There's no need to register in the UK for 1 year (great for avoiding parking tickets and the conjection charge in London), but the car needs to still be legal (current test and tax) in it's country of origin. For UK registration it would only need a foglamp on the right of the car, a headlamp conversion (free) and the speedometer marked in miles per hour. There's no need to certify the car in the UK (SVA) as it's more than 10 years old.

Not interested myself - I've got about 6 Renault 4s at the moment and don't have space for any more, but it would be interesting to figure out how it could be done.

R4tl would know better being a loco but from what i understand people give back the plates to not have to pay road tax, road inspection, and other fees for a car they are not using to save money. if you get a car with plates it will cost you more but would be able to drive it up and import it later i think, then again I'm just a gringo.

Back