Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Best Renault 4 GTL in the UK considered for sale

renchie

Hello folks!
I have driven my R4GTL (named "Renchie") for about 8 years now, after buying it from my dad who had owned Renchie since new. So he is a one family owned handsome car, extremely well looked after. Renchie has been with me through some hard times, it has been fun to own, through my studies (I studied for a degree in automotive engineering), and afterwards, and has only let me down twice (minor issue - snapped clutch cable during 1st week of ownership and a damaged carbon brush in the distributor one autumn morning when he refused to start :-( ).
Regularly serviced using only quality oils (castrol and mobil) and genuine Renault dealer supplied oil filters throughout his life - the result is that the engine still sounds great after 158000km, and burns no oil at all between services every 10000km.
Recently I adjusted the tappets (engine is exceptionally clean under the rocker cover and smells nice too, no gunk at all), and all major work has always been done by a Renault dealership at MOTs. Recent work includes a brake system overhaul, new discs/pads at the front, new rear shoes, and brake system bleeding. I have £100s if not £1000s worth of bills to prove the various work performed over the years by the dealer. I guess not many R4s can claim this much history! Clutch was changed at 103000km.
Now specifically about the condition: the best one I have ever seen, and I don't only say this because the car belongs to me. I have genuinely looked after him a great deal throughout the years. The chassis was welded once about 3 years ago in the rear section, but is otherwise very sound. I treated the rear chassis section thoroughly with Hammerite and waxoyl to prevent further poblems, and the middle and front sections are just perfect.
Body: on the outside absolutely no rust, except: on the joint face between the rear left wing and the horizontal section of the body where it bolts onto, you can see some signs of rust, but absolutely minor really. My advice would be to have this wing removed to treat this joint before the rust spreads. On the right hand side I have already done this, with a brand new wing being fitted and sprayed professionally, so looks as new!
If you open the bonnet, the top sections of the inner/outer wing joint face show some rust, but this has been treated with Hammerite which seems to do wonders. This is absolutely not visible if the bonnet is closed.
Recently fitted Renchie got 4 brand new tyres (Hankook), and tracking has been laser aligned, so no pulling left or right in a straight line.
Interior is very clean indeed, blue seats, chequered textile, very comfortable. I am not a smoker, so no ash burns or bad smells.

I am considering a sale subject to finding a person willing to take proud ownership with same loving care that I have given to this fabulous car over the years that I have owned it, clocking up the miles. Last year I clocked up 30000 km in only 6 months due to work, but now have larger and more comfortable cars for the 160 mile a day round trip to work and back (Sussex to London) and space limitations mean that this car would sadly need to leave home.
In summary:
Renault 4 GTL, 1108cc
Left hand drive
Mileage: 158000km, or just under 100000 miles
Built December 1990 (one of last 500 ever made, with production ending in 1992) - likely to have a future "collectable classic value"
Colour: metallic Adriatic blue/silver
Interior: chequered blue/red cloth
Stereo: Alpine CD/RDS with 6 speakers

I cannot put on him a price tag as such, this is all subject to negotiation, and if interested, I can email some photos, and viewing in Sussex is most welcome. Thanks... Alex and Renchie
dr_blofeld@hotmail.com

am interested in looking at Renchie - please see my email sent to your Dr Blofield address or provide telephone contact number - Thanks

Back