Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Best/worse scenario 4 my 4

jeanpaul72

Enthusiast
Hey y'all
I've got head gasket worries or woes
Read lots on here plus on other classic and French car forums that suggest lack of use can mimic head gasket failure
These are my symptoms Dr Clementine!!
Coffee non oil in the dipstick?
Overheating
No smell of fuel in expansion tank tho
and definitely lack of use, car was by thé seaside for 2/3 years
I don't expect absolutes based on a couple of pics and a description but any previous experiences or advice would be fabbo

A920C6CC-6722-4A24-91A3-AD3BF1DA2AC2.jpeg1E773181-6EEB-49C9-A897-0AE98EDB7EAD.jpeg

Based on the pictures you've posted the oil looks clean and not emulsified, so it doesn't look as if a mixing of oil and water has occurred within the sump. The "salad cream" look to the oil filler cap is often indicative of low speed or cold running, and may be cleared once the engine has been is run at its normal temperature for a period of time.

What's your evidence that the engine's over-heating? If the car's not run for some time the thermostat might have stuck shut, so this might be worth a look.

In general a car is meant for driving, not to stand still, and old(er) cars need more driving. First start with more maintenance by the look of the rusted gearstick, rusty air filter housing, dirt inside coolant expansion tank and overall general rust throughout the engine bay and secondly drive way more kilometers. The R4 wasn't made for short driving runs. I never encountered those mayonaise symptoms as I drove a minimum of 200 km every day.

Last edited:
thanks so much for your replies, previous owners used her so very little, i want to use her as a semi daily driver.
got no evidence of overheating that would pass CPS evidential test lol, basically my temp gauge maxed on a 2mile trip, and engine was red hot but accept there could be other reasons for that, like thermostat, thanks for that suggestion.
my initial plan was to...
1 drop the oil and change oil n oil filter
2 flushout rad and top up coolant
3 run up to temp for a time n see how things go
in addition ill check out the thermostat too.. eek how do i do that, seem to remember i put it into boilimg wate r n see if it opems

Like @André4Renaults wrote it could be the thermostat is stuck, check it, try to clean it and test it in boiling water or buy a new one. Maybe it is mounted the wrong way round.
Changing all fluids is always wise after a long stillstand. also remove the rockercover and have a look, everything should be clean,
When it looks like the attached picture then the complete engine should be cleaned, and I mean completely.
041.jpg

Just take your time and save another R4.
Cheers.

thanks for the reply JdeW, remember last time i did this was many years ago on my 1st car, a 1988 Ford Fiesta XR2!!
We warmed engine up, popped some red diesel in and ran on idle for 5 mins before dropping the oil, would that be ok with a R4?
Cheers

That would be sufficient, but with everything concerning old cars where the maintenance history is unknown there are risks. In the sump there would be an accumulation of old oil filter residue, caused by desintegration of an old oil filter or whatever.
The oil pump could also be partially clogged, and when the engine runs who knows what kind of debris is pumped through all oil channels.

It's not to scare you but take a look at these pictures about the things that can't be seen.

Accumulation debris sump.
046.jpg

Partially clogged oil pump.
044.jpg

Distribution chain chamber and partial removed camshaft.
059.jpg

And then I haven't shown you the coolant accumulated muck inside the engine around the cilinder liners, coolant pump, radiator etc.
Just a small look, but a complete engine overhaul is necessary.

Back