Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Blanking plate removed on R4 Safari

galaxian

Enthusiast
Hi,

As per previous posts, I tried to remove the blanking plate in order to replace the gasket from which the water was leaking.
Unfortunately despite my cautious moves, one of the four screws head broke !
I removed the plate which was quite attacked by corrosion and bent (see photo).
My main concern was now to remove the srew from the cylinder block (culasse), which was only 4mm out, knowing that if I did not make it I was indeep s....t.
After a lot of patience, a lot of heating with turbo torch, a lot of taping, a lot of parafin oil, and the miraculous strong pliers, I finally made it ! I am so reliefed !!.

r4_007_459.jpg

r4_006_147.jpg

Now I am going to flaten the plate which has slightly bent by heat, and make a new gasket from joint paper 0,8mm.
Do you suggest I put Gasket Glue also ?

To be continued....
Regards
Galaxian

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done !
A gasket sealer/mastic is a good idea and would do no harm whatsoever .Put the screws back in with some grease on the threads.

You did well to remove the stud with so little left to hold on to. Another method for extracting studs is welding another bolt onto the end. The heat from the welder loosens the stud, and the bold can be used to undo it.

For that job I would use "Hermetite Red" or "instant gasket" on both sides of the paper gasket. You would apply the sealant, let it dry a little, then assemble the joint. I've never got on with the blue silicone gasket sealant.

Back