Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Blunk! noise when i press down the clutch...

tasheido

Enthusiast
Hello all..

I have this problem with my GTL, when i press down the clutch normally while changing from 1st gear to 2nd there is this Blunk! sound, it also happens with the 2nd gear in.. when im going slow and give it a little gas.. on 2nd gear. The noise and car stutter doesen't happen on clutch release but on clutch press. I find this weird. I don't know if it might be a clutch problem, or maibe one of the engine or gearbox bolts is loose causing the engine to move on sudden RPM change. I know it doesen't happen while changing from 2nd to 3rd nor 3rd to 4th.. only on the low gears (more torque?) Is this common?.. i read something about sticky clutch problem on clementine's garage but i dont think it's the same problem because clutch release is smooth. the Blunk!.. only happens when i press it down.

oh BTW i hand pushed the engine around a bit and i dont think i have loose bolts.

Any ideas?
Bruno

If you get a shudder as well as a blunk then it sounds like a broken engine mounting or gearbox mounting. The mounts are made from a block of rubber glued to two pieces of metal, and sometimes the metal can seperate from the rubber.

To test for this, try opening the bonnet, then with the handbrake on select reverse gear and slowly release the clutch. If you can see the engine lift on one side then the engine mounting on that side could be broken. Try again in first gear and see if the engine lifts from the other side. I tried this on my car and the engine hardly moves.

If you have a friend handy then they could do this while you listen for the noise - if it is something else then you should be able to hear where it is coming from.

No one available right now for testing..

Hmm.. i never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea, i din't have anyone available, so i tryed to do it all by myself but i can't see much just looking thru the windscreen. The carburetor/airfilter does move a bit. but i need someone to handle the clutch while i look at the engine.

oh and if it really is a broken mount is it hard to fix? i guess it means lifting the engine to fit a new one.. or all 3.

i'll post a reply as soon as i reach a conclusion.
thanks for the tip

Bruno

Finnally back to this issue

i found the problem.. you where right. the left engine mount is bad. the rubber looks worn and shows cracks and probably is no longer attached to the metal part. I turned the engine on on a cold morning and it was still working irregularlly with a lot of vibration and i could clearly see that the mount was moving. Bought all 3 mounts from the local parts dealer costed me 32€ (not bad) and i'm planning on fitting them some time soon. have you ever done this? i was planning on relieving the engine wheight with the jack (is it jack??) and going at the mounts one by one.

if you can spare any tips i would be glad to hear them. :)

Hi to all of you,
I'm a new forum member, this one is my first time in asking help, hope to give help next time to anyone according my experince gained in having driven my R4 TL for 190000km.
I have read many threads, the present one gave me the hints and the direction how to find out, finally, a worring noise comeng from the bottom of my R4 when runnig a paved road.
Yes, the engine montings are to be replaced. I have performed the test suggest herer, so the engine lifts mainly when performing the test in first gear.
My first question now is :
1) how many engine mounting are there ? I presume three of them : left+right side and the third one in the middle approx close to the cluck/break pedals
2) Wishing to replace the engine mountings, can you give me details how to proceed ?
3) Can you provide me some photos or techincal layout ( or a link to previous threads ) of the engine mounting of R4

Thank you for the help you will give me

Their replacement is straightforward once the weight of the engine has been taken off the mounting to be replaced (jack with piece of wood under the sump/gearbox).

Back