Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Body repair steel gauge

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
Hello everybody :o

Do you gentlemen know what should be the steel gauge appropriated to fix some major rusted area on a R5 rear fender? It would help me the most if referred as SAE standards.
I would like to weld some steel sheet on areas where no metal is left and weld it to solid existing zones.
Any help will be very much appreciated.

Hi lazyduck,

even if some guys told me that I had to use specific steel sheets to repair the body or the chassis, I have to admit that finally I use banal 0,8 mm thickness steel sheet on my GTL.

356 Présentation pour traçage.jpg

365 Pièce presque terminée.jpg

Don't worry and buy steel sheet in any supplier you'll find ;)

Hola Snoopy1974

Thank you for you comments. I will translate thickness to our local market. I expect to start body repairs this coming week.
By the way, Are those holes on the bottom picture some sort of a help for electric welding? Did you use rod welding or wire?
How did you weld the upper part of the patch?

Hi Lazyduck15,

Renault welded the rear inner wings to the rear floor with spot welding, I don't have tool to make spot welding, so these holes are here to be welded on this edge of the rear floor:
375 Présentation 2.jpg

The upper part of the patch has also an edge to be fitted and welded inside the luggage compartment:
357 Formage rebord.jpg
361 Présentation pièce.jpg
364 Formage nervure supérieure.jpg

When the welding is finished, seal apllied and primair coated, it looks like this:
531 Vue intérieure.jpg
611 Réparation arrière gauche.jpg

To conclue, naturally you have to use MIG welding and not arc welding to make these repairs ;)

Back