Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake limiter / fift cylinder TL

Strmoslava

Enthusiast
Hi guys, how are you doing?

I have some issues with my braking system, so I would like to ask you for opinion.

I have Renault 4 TL, my dear companion.

Brake limiter or fift cylinder, Idk how you call it other way, started leaking.

That is the part of brake system that is distributing fluid and maintaining pressure and activities of rear brakes, depending on load on back.

I founded new part and thinking of buying it, but in my head it's always fact that many people told me to just get that part of my car, place T joint to that place and run car like that, without it.

But I am thinking that this could cause problems in distribution of fluid and balance of brakes in emergency situations, and that car will just slide.

What you think about it?
Did any of you had problems with this?
Should I go with changing that part or try to make braking system without it?

Don't put T piece.
It will be alright while you are alone in car and while you are braking with caution.
But if there is more weight at the back or you need to brake hard your rear end might overtake your front end.

There is repair kit available at franzose and you can repair your brake limiter.

If you remove the brake limiting valve the rear brakes will lock up before the front brakes in a sudden stop. If you brake suddenly on a wet motorway at 70mph it will make the car go sideways towards the obstacle. That's a very bad thing in a Renault 4.

Thank you guys a lot, I was thinking about that problem, but wasn't sure is it really like that.
I ordered new part and I will pick it up this Friday.

It's cool that I have one store near me that still has parts like this.

I got new main cylinder few months ago for less than a 10€.

Back