Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

brighter lights?

Eoynteenie

Planning an Advent4
Alright, passed my car test so now so using Rene a little more and at night, and must say that 1985 headlights can't hold a 'torch' (haha) to my 1994 motorbikes headlights,

Is there anyway to give a boost to Rene lights so see a bit better,

also the reversing lights have packet up, but prob a connection or fuse.

and another query, but do the wheels off the small cars after the R4 fit the R4?
(early 106, early Saxo, early AX)

Halogen bulbs are available for the R4. They make a lot of difference. Motor factors and Halfords normally have them listed, and standard 60W halogens are fine - don't go for the 80 watt ones.

The mk1 R5 had a few different types of 3 stud alloy wheel. Didn't realise the early Saxo had 3 stud. You need to be careful as clearance in the wheel centre is required for the bolts holding the front disc to the drum. Renault 4 wheels are centred on the studs which rules out wheels centred on the hubs. Do you know the PCD?

PSA group, ie Peugeot Citroen, Talbot wheels don't have the same PCD as Renaults.

3 x 098 for the cars i listed, and really? oh well, just have to have a hard look for a nice set of renault 5 alloys to fit Rene out with,

but thanks for the info on the head lights, i'll go and check out the local halfords and be annoyed by thier staff and the free fitting crew :P

61636_432694491318_529561318_5588003_6645618_n.jpg

also i'm getting there, just gotta get the inner wings and above the rear wings repaired and the nos back wings can go on, just add paint, also sorting out about bring the tired looking rims back to life.

A friend of ours also recommends wiring the lights via a relay close to the lights, apparently this can make a big difference. He's done it to the lights on his 1996 BMW1200 bike :) with a significant improvement.
Apparently a small voltage drop can result in a proportionately larger drop in the amount of light produced by the bulbs - he explained it to me, but 'O' level physics (failed) was in 1968!

On my white '75 I have been using 80/100W halogens for the last 15 years with no problems at all, and they give outstanding lighting, even when compared to modern cars.
I fitted a headlamp relay, so that higher current will not pass through the switch, and also made one thicker ground cable per side, directly to the chassis, and that's all.

Back