Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Camshaft identification

WILLIAM.A

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
Is it possible to tell what this cam is originally for? Except for the cam lobe grind, it is identical to an 1108cc cam.
The inlet lobe opens more quickly and closes more slowly. The lift is a tiny bit more but that may be due to wear on my 1108 cam

9714EE6B-D8B8-456C-AB87-1FC5241200F0.jpeg 8B39A415-1699-414A-8B8B-6EA25CB35F5D.jpeg B17F22EA-7CD6-4CB9-BF3C-761985C3BC86.jpeg F5C885E1-0370-43DE-B0C1-5A341BEC46D6.jpeg

Assuming it is completely identical in dimensions, the size of the flywheel end cam bearing will be the teller, it's most likely a MK1 R5 camshaft probably a 956 TL if it's not much different in profile. It may be a 5GTL 1289cc camshaft but I have a feeling they are the same profile as the 1108 R4 motor... someone with more knowledge will give a more specific answer :laughing:

The flywheel end bearing is smaller than the others and needs a bush in the cylinder block in just the same way as the 1108 engine

I have just got the new camshaft cleaned up (hence the cling film) and I notice that the slot for the chain wheel is not cut in the normal wayAlso, the retaining bolt is M8 rather than the standard M10. At the moment, the chain wheel cannot be fitted. Has anyone come across this before?

58D468DE-4400-41FF-9343-3C8FB620E481.jpeg

Maybe this slot is for a key piece and the appropriate chain wheel has a cut out rather than the little tongue/peg that I have.

I believe that I have solved the key slot puzzle. It looks like the duplex timing chain wheels are used with a Woodruff key. So this camshaft came from a Renault with a duplex timing chain. Are we any closer to finding it’s origin?

Renault 5 Alpine / Gordini, both n/a and turbo had both duplex chain and long front end, as on your photos.

Sorry for late response. Been on holiday. Since I am putting this in a 1397 engine, I may get the pulling power I seek. The cam which was removed From the 1397 has a slightly more aggressive cam grind: but only very slightly.
My sights are set on getting a bigger carburettor to suit. The 1397 head has the inlet ports much enlarged from those on the 1108 engine So a bigger carb and better manifold would match nicely

It will not be suitable for any head other than the Alpine one. Valves on these are placed alternatively, while on the non-crossflow heads are like this: exhaust-inlet-inlet exhaust-exhaust etc.
I don't know if the later 5TX cars with power steering were equipped with duplex timing chains, too, if it's the case and you have such a camshaft, it's OK. Paul (mr-reno-139) could shed some light here.

Thanks for the insight, I will have a look at the cam lobe layout and see if we have a “normal “ camshaft

Back