Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Car insurance in UK/Ireland

petak

Enthusiast
Hi girls and boys!

A friend of mine living in Ireland (he is not Irish, he is Croat) have some doubts about importing and R9/11 (America verion with 2 doors) to Ireland. And maybe offer it for sale. Car is in Croatia at the moment

Three things are bother him.
1. Is there differance with car insurance for car with LHD and RHD. Same persone, same car but "wrong" steering wheel side.
2. For those who are driving LHD car in UK. How do you feel on the road and in everyday situation. How do you take parking ticket when booth is on the other side:D
3. Is there interest for this car model

Picture of that car

received_711364256320569.jpeg

I am aware that people here are mostly from UK but maybe someone know something about this matter.

Thank you for reading.

Hi Petak

I drive a LHD R4 in the UK. Insurance companies might add a small amount to the premium as it is a LHD and not RHD. Driving a LHD in the UK in my experience is generally fine. The positive is you can drive closer to the kerb with confidence! The negatives as you say, are car park ticket machines, if you have long arms you are fine otherwise you have to get out of the car to collect the ticket! Forked road left turns can be problematic especially with a van as I have to take my seat belt off to stretch across to see if cars are approaching (blind spot with panelled side to rear of van). Dropping a passenger off at the side of the road is tricky as the passenger has to get out of the vehicle into the traffic! The Renault 9 and 11 were not as popular as the R4/R5 in the UK. The Renault 11 more than the Renault 9. People who have owned a Renault 9 in the past might be interested in buying one. It is easier for the DIY mechanic to maintain one of these compared to modern vehicles.

LHD is no real problem and insurance companies don't tend to charge much of an additional premium, certainly on classic policies at least. Hardest bit is drive through coffee / burger places I find...

What I'm wondering though, is why does he want to import an odd spec car in the first place? Now I like R9s and 11s very much but they don't have a massive following or much in the way of high prices so if he's doing it to make a profit I think he's going to be disappointed. It'd be an interesting car, just not an expensive / valuable one.

Thank you for response!

Well, that friend of mine always liked to own and drive odd models of the cars. But also he is changing them quite fast., few years and then he find something new more interested to drive.

This model came up to him recently. It is not offered for sale to anybody. And knowing him, his imagination start to work 110% and his fingers are getting itchy

Sell part is added just to get some feel if it can be sold after wards.

He is also R4 freek

Driving in the UK with a LHD R4 is fine in my experience, but one important point is that R4s are so slow (relative to everyday traffic on the roads today) that one scarcely ever has to overtake anyone. #jcarruthers2 does not specifically mention overtaking, possibly for this reason! When I do have to overtake (e.g. tractors) it does take a considerable degree of neck-stretching, pulling out a certain way to see the road ahead, increased caution etc.
Footman James insure my LHD and they have never raised any objections.

Hi girls and boys!

A friend of mine living in Ireland (he is not Irish, he is Croat) have some doubts about importing and R9/11 (America verion with 2 doors) to Ireland. And maybe offer it for sale. Car is in Croatia at the moment

Three things are bother him.
1. Is there differance with car insurance for car with LHD and RHD. Same persone, same car but "wrong" steering wheel side.
2. For those who are driving LHD car in UK. How do you feel on the road and in everyday situation. How do you take parking ticket when booth is on the other side:D
3. Is there interest for this car model

Picture of that car

View attachment 26235

I am aware that people here are mostly from UK but maybe someone know something about this matter.

Thank you for reading.

Dear Petak,

Insurance is more expensive for LHD but not prohibitively.

Driving LHD is easy and there are many classic owners with LHD care.

Regarding interest for this model, this is difficult to answer, but I don't think that it would be highly sought after.

There are many Renault fans, some of whom do love buying unusual models like this, but my impression is that is would not have an abundance of mainstream appeal.

To sell the car in Ireland it would have to be re-registered in Ireland and this is done by the National Car Testing Service (NCTS).

This forum here is a good source for questions on having a classic car in Ireland. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=514

Back