Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Carburettor coolant connections

NickoJ

Enthusiast
My recently bought 1985 R4 GTL has two coolant spigots at the base of the carb but not connected to anything. I'm expecting that these should probably Tee into the heater hoses but have no diagrams to refer to and no evidence of such connections ever having been made. Any suggestions greatly received.

Sounds like it might be a carb from a slightly different engine (e.g. Renault 5). Can you see what type of carb it is? There should be some information stamped on it. Pictures would also help to identify it.

Hi Nicko, as jjad suggests this carb most likely started life on a R5 engine and would have been plummed into the waterpump with two moulded rubber pipes.
It is possible, as these pipes are now hard to find, to tee into the heater pipes.
This is how I did it on my 1985 GTL 1108cc engine. Regards Brian. 20190224_163123.jpg20190224_163014.jpg20190224_163059.jpg

Thanks Jjad and Cornish4 my throttle linkage looks the same as in your pics. I'm attaching a couple of my carb.
How much difference would I notice if I plumb it in and where might I get the tee pieces? Also I appear to have an unused breather connection, your thoughts please.
IMG_20200314_163658.jpg

• IMG_20200319_113210.jpg
    IMG_20200319_113210.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200319_113155.jpg
    IMG_20200319_113155.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 6
Hi Nick, it's a Zenith 32 IF 7, same as I have. I think the idea of the heating pipes is to make the carb run more efficiently, especially in cold conditions, but I'm sure some kind soul on here will correct me if I'm wrong. I found the plastic tee-pieces on eBay, and if I can find the invoice with the details of the company I'll get back to you, but from memory they are 20mm x 20mm x 16mm. The breather pipe from carb to rocker-cover is correct, although it should be straight, but the small spigot where you have no pipe attached should have the pipe from under the carb connected to it, with a 1 1/2 mm restrictor in it. This is all to do with emissions, and the car will run better with this. The restrictor is available from 4 R-quatre.nl, an excellent Dutch supplier of R4 spares. Hope this all helps, regards Brian.

Hi Brian many thanks for your input and helpful suggestions I'd be glad of the tee piece info if you find it not to worry if you can't I'm sure I'll be able to sort things out. As soon as my workshop is rearranged the car is coming off th road for rear suspension work and rot repairs.
Regards Nick.

• IMG-20200306-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20200306-WA0000.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 4
No problem Nick, you are welcome. The car looks good, nice retro look with the chrome fittings. It just needs an early aluminium grille to complete the transformation. Are you doing the repairs yourself?
Here are the suppliers of the tee-pieces, the size is 18mm x 18mm x 10mm.20200319_171536.jpg

Hi Brian thanks again for the supplier info, I was interested in your retro look comment, the door handles are also chrome which is how I assumed it left the factory. I will be doing all the repairs myself though I must admit to a certain level of confusion whilst rsearching how to replace and set up the rear bushes.
Nick

Hi Nick, by the time production had got into the 80s the cars had a utilitarian look with lots of plastic fittings, including the door handles which were boring grey, along with painted bumpers and black plastic mirrors. So a bit of bling brightens things up nicely. It's great you are doing the repairs yourself, and there is a wealth of information and knowledge on here, so if you ask questions you won't go far wrong. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Regards Brian.

Back