Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cheers from the cryogenic North!

Iglooman

Enthusiast
Hello fellow fourplayers! :lol:

Just stumbled in by chance searching info on 1.4-litre R4s. Seems like a nice forum! Just in case anyone's interested, i'll punish the keyboard and write a few words about myself:

My (first) name is actually Juha, but here I'll just pretend I'm "Iglooman", OK? You see, I'm a guy from Finland, "the land of polar bears". A town called Lahti is blessed(?) to have me as its resident.

Hang on, wait a sec, that's not entirely true... Well, my name is Juha and I am a guy, but there really aren't any polar bears here in Finland. Although I'm sure they'd be happy with our winter temperatures (it's -10deg C at the moment and it's only the end of November! Brrrrrr....)

Besides being interested in R4 go-faster mods, I own an R4. Sadly, I do not drive one, as the one I own is not a driver. It is, however, special to me in other ways: Being the same vintage as I (1973) and having belonged to the family from new, it's been laid up in my parents' (thankfully) warm&dry garage for the past 10+ years waiting for resurrection. And surplus money. And time. And, most importantly, inspiration, coupled with some honest perspiration! :)

So my 4 is a pine-green metallic '73 "Export" model, R1123 lhd with 845cc and four speeds. Although not hopelessly far-gone, it requires a strip-and-rebuild to be fully presentable. In fact, I'm in the happy position of already having a factory-fresh, complete new chassis waiting in the garage. Also sourced are two new rear inner wings and boot floor, all original Renault-supplied parts. They were bought 10 years ago when prices were still tolerable. So there shouldn't be too much fabricating required to repair the rust damages (which aren't too bad to be honest, the car having been rustproofed regularly for its first 10 or so years and having inner wing liners at the front).

My daily driver is a Renault Twingo which, in my opinion, is not too far from the simplistic spirit of the 4. And, being a namesake of the rally world champion Juha Kankkunen, I've always been drawn to really powerful cars. Hence the 4. :wink:

OK, I guess that's enough of an introduction. I'm taken if you cared to read it all through! I wouldn't have! :D

Hi Juha and welcome.

I had a read through the forum post about the Twingo. Seems to be a lot of language switching going on there - I don't know how you guys do it. I can see why the Renault 4 is still sitting in the garage - all of your time and money is spent making the Twingo super cool.

I'm guessing you have a lot of modifications planned for the Renault 4. 1973 was an excellent year. I nearly bought a 1972 car a few weeks ago - I think they are the best looking Renault 4s. They need a bigger engine and disc brakes on the front. I imagine you have this planned.

I'm going to tell all my friends that Juha Kankkunen has joined the forum.

:clementi:

Back