Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Choke Light On Instrument Panel

PHILIP BUXTON

Enthusiast
Just a minor gripe. The choke light in the instrument panel remains on even when choke knob fully pushed in. When I close the choke, the light goes off initially but then comes on again whilst driving. If I apply a liitle pressure to the knob and hold it in one posn then it remains off but as soon a I let go I know it will come on again later, which is very distracting.

It could be the cable sticking. If you remove the cable at the carb end and make a small funnel from a bit of plastic, plasticene or tape etc, and squirt some WD40 into it, it should trickle down the length of the cable. Work the cable in and out and you will feel it free up. Then reconnect at the carb end but don't make it too tight ensuring that the knob goes fully home. If this doesn't cure it then you'll have to replace the cable.
Alternatively, remove the bulb:)

Could well be a worn, mis-adjusted, or un-lubricated cable that pushes the knob out a bit. Otherwise, I can't quite remember how the choke light switch works, but I'm fairly sure it's basic. Bent bit of copper touching against some earth somewhere.

Maybe unscrew the plastic cover under the steering column and have a look at the switch mechanism. It's bound to be botchable.

Had a look yesterday - the choke light switch is a bent bit of copper strip behind the choke pull knob. You can access it easilly by undoing the plastic cover under the steering column.

Back