Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch cable

MartinA

Enthusiast
Hi I need to remove my clutch cable but can't get the plastic collar at either end to release. Its a 1986 GTL. Any ideas?

Hi Martin

Jack up car, place stand allowing you enough height to get underneath. You will need a long flat ended screwdriver and hammer. Offer up screwdriver to collar lip and gently tap end of screwdriver with hammer, collar should pop out.

As I had to take the pedal box off for welding around that area I finally unbolted the bracket holding the clutch cable to the engine. Now even with it off I don't see how the plastic collar could ever come off (either end).

Hi Martin

Any chance of posting an image of the issue with the plastic collar? I am trying to envisage the problem.

Hi Martin

Thanks for the image. Place the bracket in a vice with the upper end (larger section of collar) not obstructed by the vice. Gently tap the lip of the plastic collar with a flat ended screwdriver and hammer in an upward direction and the plastic collar should pop out. Alternatively, you could try tapping the lip of the plastic collar from the upper section of the collar towards the opening in the bracket and it might slide out. However, in the image the lip of the collar looks a tad chunkier than normal.

I had the opposite problem: changed the cable (the rubber sleeve breaks easily, the wire dries up and the pedal becomes stiffy) and the collar didn't block anymore in its housing.

Back