Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch cable

snes

Enthusiast
Today my clutch cable slipped out of the bracket that is attached to the footpedal. Never happened before (and it left me clutchless) but I notice the previous owner had wrapped tape around this bracket thingy. So perhaps this is an issue?

Should the open slot face up or down? Does it matter?

Why would the cable come out anyway? How can I prevent it happening again?

It was a new cable, so did it simply stretch and then drop out?

Steve, thanks for your previous help - any ideas on this? Or anyone?

You've got me on that one. Never heard of it happening before and must admit that I've only ever needed to fit a R4 clutch cable once in 25 years!!
The only thing that I can think of is that the cable isn't under enough tension. This may be due to the cable sticking internally, the actuating mechanism in the gearbox partially seized and in need of some lube or the cable has been incorrectly adjusted.

Looking at my parts catalogue, I note firstly that the slot should be facing upwards, and secondly there are two clutch cables listed, depending on the model. It could have dropped out due to the slot being upside down, or it may be the wrong clutch cable. However if it was the wrong one, I doubt it would have functioned correctly in the first place. I think you need to check to make sure your clutch actuating mechanism is moving freely, and, or adjust the toggle on the end of the cable to shorten the actual length, as recommended by Steve.

It's 1 to 1000000 possibility, as when you try to remove the cable from the yoke, to change clutch cable, it will not come off! (and is in an awkward place...).

If I remember correctly, there is not enough room to pull the cable backwards to disengage it from the yoke, you must first remove it from the pedal (by pulling the clevis pin). So it's still a mystery how did it happen by its own...

I can only speculate that a previous owner fitted a non standard bracket, which may be a tad too long, allowing the nipple space to move backwards. Or the cable slot has been widened to ease fitting, with appropriate results.
As I found tape wrapped around the bracket, I suspect this may have happened before.
I have pushed some silicone seal into the bracket space to try and prevent any future movement. Hope it works, cos you're right Angel, it is in a v awkward place!
Thanks for all your suggestions.

One strange thing - when a member posted me a pic of an F6 cable, it had a barrel type cable end with a thinner section of barrel to fit in the bracket hole. So it fitted snug.
My has a hexagonal type cable end with no thinner section so it sits end on against the hole. Not so secure.
As my cable was made identical to the one I sent, I can only assume the original was likewise. But is this the way GTLs were kitted out, or was my cable non standard?

One strange thing - when a member posted me a pic of an F6 cable, it had a barrel type cable end with a thinner section of barrel to fit in the bracket hole. So it fitted snug.
My has a hexagonal type cable end with no thinner section so it sits end on against the hole.

That's why it seemed very curious for the cable to go backwards (to disengage the thinner section), then upwards!

Maybe the cable is poor quality reproduction, or simply custom made (and they didn't have the correct barrel).

Back