Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch cables

snes

Enthusiast
I've just noticed some fraying on my clutch cable - a loose strand or two. Dont know how long that gives me, but best to take no chances I guess.

So, its an 86 1.1 Gtl, rhd. Is there a standard cable that I can rummage on e-bay for, or is it best to go to George at Whiteheads?

Any idea on the official Renault price?

Thanks!

I bought last year an original renault clutch cable(right side drive/not hand).
But it wasn't cheap.

These people will repair your cable or make a new one. http://www.speedycables.com/cables.html

Do check with Renault to see if they have discontinued cables. I have checked with a couple of pattern cable manufacturers and they don't do them. Unless you want to wait until one comes up on ebay then you don't have too much choice. It won't be cheap but rather a cable that works than being stuck in the middle of nowhere, or at traffic lights that are just turning red and you have a queue of cars behind you (yes, it happened to me).

Its true, Renualt no longer have any rhd cables - and this one is unique to the GTL.

But thanks Steve - my next question was going to be if anyone knows of a cable fabricator. So you read my mind!

I'm just wondering if the cost would be anywhere near as high as Renault would probably charge if they still did them. An example - the 4 Lucas Girling disc brake springs - you know, the little funny shaped things that do something with the pads - £21!!!

Will trawl the net, but probably bag up my cable to have a copy made.
Thanks again Steve.

Looks promising - I'll bear that one in mind. But if its not quite the correct part, returning could be troublesome and pricy.
Thanks anyway!

not sure why everybody thinks R4 parts are so hard to find
genuine parts are now getting thinner on the ground but QH range covers most parts including clutch cables
http://www9.qha.com/uk/technical/qhcatalogues.htm
(you will need to have adobe PDF software installed) then if you right click and save to computer voila your very own list of part numbers to ask your local motor factors /ebay etc
hope this helps

The second item on the Mister Auto site certainly looks like its for a RHD car.
Might be why its discounted so heavily :).

Thanks Mr Reno - unfortunately, no clutch cable on QH site for R4.
Cant buy from Mr Auto either because customer registration only takes French post codes.
Ho hum!
Might have to have one made up.
Get there in the end!

One of us with a place in France could possibly sort you out. I;m not back over there till August though.

Thanks Pepper - but if nothing turns up by the weekend, I'll remove my cable and send it to Speedyspares for repair, copy or whatever.
Can I just check - my cable seems to be secured at the pedal end by a tiny circlip fixing a barrel to the pedal. Is this so?
And, where the cable goes through the bulkhead, from the engine side, the cable seems a secure fit. Do I just tug it until it comes free?
I have a Haynes on order, but suspect it wont cover the finer details.
Thanks!

well i just rang my supplier quoting QCC1132 (1463 mm long) as listed on link i gave you quoted me £6.50 next day subject to stock at QH it does say 1970-1982 but cant think why newer models would be different
interestingly when i asked them to look it up just quoting r4 nothing listed - proving that newer pc based catologues are ignoring older cars making people panic

I would be delighted to be proved wrong here, mr reno! Its the 1982 cut off that worries me - according to Lifestyle Renualt, the cable for my 86 Gtl is unique to that model. But from what date? I dont know enough about lengths and connections to be able to check if it will fit.
I agree - looking up R4 showed nothing. Where did you get the QCC ref from?
thanks again!
PS - just measured cable - its pretty darn close to 1463 overall. So I bet the end connections are different instead!

Clutch Cable continued

I picked up on this half way through. I think Mr Reno has got it bang on. Mine is an 85 GTL. I've attached the pictures showing all the elements, and recon the Quinton Hazel cable (which probably excludes the add-on cable-end extras) is an exact fit for length.

The last pic shows the part that attaches the cable to the clutch pedal.

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Hal - worth a try then. Would any motor factor order these for me? I should imagine Halfords would be the last place to consider on this!
V. helpful having the pix.

Funnily enough Halfords can get anything you want, they can order through other companies, depends on whether they can get it cheap enough for you though!

Best off talking to a good local independent motor supplier though.

Halfords trade cards are the bees kneeses though!

part number was straight from pdf file on RHD clutch cables i linked the whole page incase you wanted any other catologues
my vague recollection is that when the dash was face lifted ie 1982/3 y plate the diameter of hole in bulkhead increased to take a larger dia outer end remember using suitable washer to adapt early cable to the bigger hole
later cables fit by redrilling early cars or maybe i tried fitting mk 1 5 cable and now ive confused myself completely

googling part numbers is always worth doing and indeed several are listed from old stock suppliers ebay etc

agreed we dont know it will def fit but cheap enough to try

Back