Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch Fork Spring for R4 needed urgently

R4fanatic

Enthusiast
My fellow Renault fans,

My lovely Spanish van is in for a new clutch at a trusted local garage. The kind gentlemen there have informed me that the clutch fork spring circled in yellow in the manual excerpt below is broken. Half of it has disappeared. They attribute at least part of my clutch slipping issues to this broken part rather than wear.

They are also having a hell of a job removing the clutch fork from the rod/shaft it is attached to (see diagram). There are 2 (highlighted) locating pins sort of like grub screws that they can't seem to shift or drift out. They need to slide this off to replace the spring. The spring part number is 7700516504. It's a part that fits multiple Renault models, not just the R4 but I have searched high and low, the Spanish and Portuguese websites that list these all have no stock and I've emailed them to check too. I actually ordered one from Piezos Autos Classicos (the only site listing one in stock) only for them to refund my payment and cancel the order, I presume due to no stock.

Can anyone supply me with this spring or with the complete fork and spring?

At this moment I am open to ideas on how to replace the spring and / or remove the fork from the rod.

I have the Spanish 845cc engine. The van is a 1979 model R2108.

I have thought of making the spring up from spring wire and am trying to source the correct wire, but if anyone has this part obviously that would be better. Hopefully this has a happy ending and this reference/post will be searched in future so that others needing this part can also find a solution.

Thanks all!

Andrew Parker

Milton Keynes, UK

Clutch Fork Spring Needed.JPG

Andrew not "845" Billancourt. You have an "852" Cleon engine.

Back