Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cold and hot starting - according to the owner's manual

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
According to the Renault owner's manual a cold start should be choke and a slightly pressed accelerator. It's not very clear if you dab it once and let go before starting (to give a squirt of fuel via the accelerator pump?) or you keep it slightly pressed with the choke whilst cranking. Hot starting is even stranger. The book of words says use full throttle! I would have only used this for clearing a flooded engine.

Not having driven my GTL a lot (ok, just the once and it was already warmed up), what do people recommend?

Thanks, Mark

No accelerator pump on 99% of Renault 4 don't forget every car is slightly different and once you found a technique that works stick with it a lot of the problem is is due to the carburettor sitting immediately above the exhaust manifold meaning once you turn the engine off the heat rises and tends to evaporate most of the fuel sitting in the carburettor due to it being different stuff to what the car was designed for

If your R4 does have an accelerator pump (like mine, 1985), pull out the choke and pump the accelerator pedal three or four times before turning the key. Always works. I don’t have the Parts Book to hand but the later models were fitted with very elaborate Solex carbs with this feature.

Interesting topic!

I had last weekend my first long drive (1200km) mainly on the highway. When I stopped over to rest I noticed that after a short cool down (5-10 min) the engine didn't start very easy (by just turning the key..) Next time I tried starting with the gaspedal fully down, worked like a charm.

Back