Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Complete wheel Cylinders ie Front left and right and Rear left and right, for a Renau

Trish B

Enthusiast
Hi,
I live in Zimbabwe and am looking for new Complete wheel Cylinders ie Front left and right and Rear left and right, for a Renault 4, station wagon, 1975

Any advice, please. I need to keep this car on the road.

Grateful thanks,

Trish B

I take it that you want a complete set of cylinders for the car. Are they not able to be overhauled with new seals or are they too rusty inside?

I am sure I have seen these on ebay recently. Are you able to carry out monetary transactions abroad with a credit card, Paypal or bank transfer? - bearing in mind the policies of your Government!

Somebody over here can probably help you with the parts, but if the complete cylinders are unobtainable, the old ones can be re-sleeved and new seals fitted. Also it would be useful to know the make of the cylinders (DBA, Bendix or Girling) and the exact size of the bores.

The seals will not be too expensive but the cylinders could be - dependant on where they could be obtained. I'm not sure of the cost of re-sleeving but I'm guessing around £15 max per cylinder.

Did you manage to sort out the problems with your starter motor?

Trish - I have just looked on Ebay UK and the cylinders are still in the auction.

The front ones are described as the 'narrow' type and they are starting at £4-99 each. Ebay numbers 260043373859 and 260043373591.

The rear ones are Bendix and it appears that there has been no change in the cylinders from the early cars to the later ones, so if yours are Bendix these will be OK for your car. These are priced at £17-80 for the pair. The Ebay number is 290041310551.

Both vendors will post overseas.

Hope this helps.

Re R4 '75 Complete Wheel Cylinders

Thanks Steve,

I will get this to my mechanic. I have no clue what kind of brakes I have...
However this is a huge help.

Regards,

Trish B

Dear Steve,

Further to.... I have communicated with my mechanic who has temporarily fixed my brakes, but says that they are very thin after cleaning and so he does not think that re-sleeving is ideal. To keep me on the road he would like to replace all the cylinders.

We don't know how to tell what make the cylinders are without taking them apart and if we did, how would we know? I have my engine number: 800-01-2555751 Model 1123 Year 1975. For some reason the Chassis no is blank. Does this help, can you advise on this?

I had hoped to find new parts, are they still manufactured in Spain and Turkey?

I will check EBay for the rear cylinders as you say they have not changed... not sure about the front ones. We still won't know if mine are Bendix.

Would like to get it correct if I have to go to all the bother of bringing them back here.

Your help and advice, much appreciated,

Sincerely,

Trish B.

Trish,

All hydraulic cylinders can be re-sleeved so that would be a last option for you if you could not find the cylinders you're after. To find the make of the cylinders it is usually imprinted in the casting or the brake shoes will have the make on them if they are the original type.

I have just had a look in my manual and it's not overly helpful apart from the fact that both early and later front drum braked R4's wheel cylinders are interchangable but it does not give me the make of them.

As for the rear, the photos showing both Girling and Bendix cylinders look identical - it's just the brake shoes that appear different. The Girling type having a pin, spring and cap to hold each shoe whereas the Bendix type has a helical spring.

If I were you I would buy these new cylinders off ebay and take a chance as I'm 95% certain that they will fit or can be made to fit. If only one pair fit then at least you've solved 50% of your problem:D

Steve

Dear Steve,

STILL LOOKING FOR COMPLETE FRONT WHEEL CYLINDERS FOR R4 1975

You wrote:

Steve Hennessey
Trish - I have just looked on Ebay UK and the cylinders are still in the auction.

The front ones are described as the 'narrow' type and they are starting at £4-99 each. Ebay numbers 260043373859 and 260043373591.

The rear ones are Bendix and it appears that there has been no change in the cylinders from the early cars to the later ones, so if yours are Bendix these will be OK for your car. These are priced at £17-80 for the pair. The Ebay number is 290041310551.

My nephew in London handled this for me and was successful with the Bendix rear wheel cylinders but missed out with his bid for the front ones.

I am tell you this in the hope that there will be others and if you know of any that you will let me know. I will also keep my eye on eBay. I am very grateful to you for all the trouble you have taken on my behalf. Thanks very much indeed.

Kind regards and to all R4 fans!

Trish B

in Zimbabwe.

Trish, there is a right hand front cylinder on ebay now. 120047960297.

With ebay, bid high so you don't lose it!

Steve

Dear Steve,

Thanks to you we won the right front wheel cylinder on eBay UK! Am still looking for a left or a complete set of front cylinders would be fine. Have friends with R4’s who might need a spare.

Have also been advised to get the rubber bushes for the gear lever, any advice on this?

Thanks again and regards,

Trish B

That's good news Trish and you got it cheap as well:D

I look on ebay each day and will let you know if I see another one or a pair. I have copied the link below for all R4 items in the UK so you can look for yourself. Please tell me if the link works for you.

Regarding the gear lever bush, do you mean the one where the main lever goes through the hole in the linkage (to stop it rattling)? I am not sure if this bush is the same on your model as it is on the later cars. If it is, these can still be ordered from a Renault dealer so your relation in the UK can get it for you. They come in two parts and are not expensive.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ws/search/...=1&ht=0&sacat=14239 18323&satitle="renault 4"

Good luck

Steve

Back