Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Computerised MOT - No more free re-tests

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Ermintrude passed the MOT test this morning :D Lucky thing as it looks like there is only one garage left in Bedford doing free re-tests and that wasn't the one I went to.

Seems it takes quite a lot longer to log details into the slow running central database rather than write on a bit of paper, so they charge for this. Also the tester appeared to be being timed by the computer so presumably have to do a full test again rather than just check the bit that's been fixed.

Going to have to start checking cars over before they go in for the test. :eek:

I took my 5 in on Monday for the MOT. He finished the test and then said we'll have to wait another 15 mins. It's because the Bureaucrats say the test must last for 50 mins so he could not enter the details on the computer straight away. By the time he had finished I had been there over an hour - progress, I don't think.

The guys at the test station did seem to be dawdling around a little. Seemed a little strange, but I guess that's why.

I'll have to take some beers with me when I go in with the MGA - it's so old there isn't anything to test - just goes on the ramp and they check it doesn't wobble more than might be expected then they give me the MOT.

Presumably we'll have to wait another 50 minutes for the retest while the inspector pokes his head under the car to check for a new looking balljoint.

From VOSA:
How much interest from VOSA will there be about the time a test takes ie
will it be essential to spend 50 minutes per test; is there a minimum time and
will stations be penalised points if testers fall out of line with average times?
VOSA will not be too concerned if a tester does not take the average time to carry out tests. The time it takes to test depends on many variables, the condition of the vehicle, the experience of the tester and the layout of the VTS. However we will be concerned if the tester consistently takes too short a time to test and may investigate.

A free retest is possible - but only after 1 day and only if a bulb or something needs to be replaced - that's the proposal from the bureaucrats at the department of transport

1. If the vehicle is returned to the same VTS and retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only.
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) warning, boot lid, brake pedal anti-slip, direction indicators/hazard warning, doors, dropsides, emissions, fuel filler cap, headlamp aim, horn, lamps, loading door, mirrors, rear reflectors, registration plates, seat belts (but not anchorages), seats, sharp edges or projections, steering wheel, tailboard, tailgate, vehicle identification number (VIN), windscreen, windscreen wipers/washers, wheels* and tyres*. Only a partial re-examination is required with no additional fee.

2. In any other case a full examination is required and an amount up to the maximum full fee may be charged.

Back