Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cross-reference list..Do we need one??

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Hi all! just had a thought rummaging through a pile of old
bits&pieces mainly from 'other' Renaults...

Lots of the parts is in their orig.plasticbags or their box -And
having their orig.pt.numbers on them but as long as I don't have other Renault-manuals 'cept for the R4 and the Alpines
I am at a TOTAL loss Which R-model the parts are for-and more important
Will any of them fit Roffen the F4 ??
-Lots of you will know the superb cross-reference-books or catalogs for US-cars..
SO-To the question..
Do we want -and or need such a cross-reference list for our R4's ???
Would it be possible to complile one here on the forum??
How do we do it??:confused:
Lots of parts are interchangeable lights/brakeparts/ignition/
steering etc etc
There are lots of interchangeable parts from non-Renaults as well-Peugeot/Citroen/Dacia/Ford/Alfa springs to mind but I am sure there are others too...

-come on! if you're into Fords or something, I'm giving you a free opportunity to spill the beans -I'm sure the rest of us won't hold it against you
-for long!:wink:

The problem is finding out What-fits-what ,so I'm thinking a list that states From Which vehicle part comes- preferably with orig.pt.number (to be able to verify its compliance)
list would also need orig.pt.number of part it is interchangeable with-Plus model of R4 it will fit

-If such list should have any practical use it will no doubt
Have to be checked and 'washed' so mistakes and misprints can be deleted or corrected....

Am I on to a viable idea -or do I just have plain Too much sparetime here??
Any/All ideas or inputs greaty appreciated!:hug:

PS:How did the Kent-run go?? gather you're all out of the nick by now so how's about it......
-any news from the South-East front yet?? -R.

The main problem is that Renault pasts numbers seem to be random, and were changed often for no reason (3 part numbers can well refer to the same part!!). So it is really chaotic!
So that has led us to either remember which parts from other Renaults fit or are the same, or take the old part to the spares shop and find the new by comparison.
French magazine Gazoline has each month a section with parts numbers of both the manufacturer and some aftermarket firms, of the most pasic parts of a given vehicle. It may be worth finding the four or five issues on which the R4 was covered (about one year ago).

Hi angel-I agree with you -it IS really chaotic,but if everyone
chipped-in their little bit of info we might stand a chance in getting a crossref-list going.

Given time and some effort-we will have a very useful list,so
all of us don't have to invent the powder again every time...

Our 4's stand a Much better chance of survival -and that's what it's all about right?

-Any more thoughts-Anyone?? -R.

It's an excellent idea, though I could imagine it being very time consuming, so you'd probably not get very many volunteers.

The "where to find new parts" section of the forum comes at the problem from another angle. If people are struggling to find parts they can ask and hopefully be directed by someone who has already found a supplier or a fix. Also the other where to find parts page lists a few suppliers.

There's definately a need for some sort of referencing guide. I took my Der Franzone catalogue down to the Renault 4 run in Kent, and it created a lot of interest - nobody knew so many new parts were available. I didn't know until Bluebell mentioned them.

Hi again malcolm! Wass ist das Franzone ???? -I gather it's a book..but please tell us more
Is it Vital? is it to kill for?Is it possible to live a meaningful without one:eek:

I know my suggestion of a cross-ref.list is a monumental task.but hey,they didn't build Mt.Everest in a day either
they started out one stone at a time right? -R.

They age a German company making and selling spares for some Renault and Citroen cars, email and they will send a catalogue or check their website I have had some parts from them, took a week to arrive.
Allan

Back