Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Crossmember/support/brace/ HELP!!

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Hi all-Finally spring seems to be just round the corner in Norwayland-which as usual means there are things to be done that has been posponed all too long..

-Roffen is now at the garage where they will take out old 850cc engine complete with gearbox Then they will put in the 1289cc R5 mkI engine(R1225) and box (also 4-speed)so shouldn't be a big issue -I hope!:)

-I seem to have wrong info re.the new radiator w/fan I am to install further up front..as the R5 rad I got seem to be too wide. I thought this was the same rad used on the GTL ??
-Could anyone Please measure the Height and Width in cm.on the GTL-rad for me ?

PARTS URGENTLY NEEDED:
(1)The gear-lever support or brace,between inner-wings -as the old rad with the gearlever support-guide will be removed.(pt#77 00 523 432 in P.R 1006 pg.50.05)
(2)The two brackets to mount new rad in forward position
on two rubber-grommets.. Sits inside each side of front-framelegs..pt#77 00 652 793 & 77 00 652 791 pg.70.03

No rush as long as I can get them by last Friday ;)

Thanx MUCH in advance guys/-R.

I can measure the radiator, but won't be able to post back the measurements until tomorrow morning.

I can't help with the parts though, I'm afraid.

Jonathan

Jonathan! Thanx much for assistance re.measurements tomorrow.
Does your R4 have a flat or a canister-shaped fan-motor?

-Hope someone else out there can help with the parts needed ! -R.

I shall have a look at the condition of the ones on the four I'm breaking tomorrow, but I'm going away for the week again (sorry this working Belgium is a pain for my social life and my back, its killing after all the driving!)

Oh and I looked at the Renault 5 rad in a scrappy the other week and they do look very different to the normal 4GTL rad.

pepper -thanx much for response! would be Great if you had a cross-member to sell.
Don't really know where my head has been since not thinking about this piece earlier-must be all that cod-liver oil I drink!
Your observation at the scrappy seems to verify what I have come to find out-the R5 is not correct for my use.
if you have the poss. could I ask you to take a pix so I can see how
the GTLrad is placed? is it fitted right Next to the battery -or in Front of? what's the inner-diameter of the rad-hoses at rad-end?
32mm.or 40mm ?? Are the rad.spouts one (L) on top and one (R)
at bottom of rad or what?
since your back is giving you trouble I gather you are not using the GTL to Belgium ??? (I've never sat better than in Roffen -even the wife isn't moaning-or it might be I can't hear her) -R.

I have just taken a photo of the radiator. The approximate measurements are: 32 cm high (but 34 cm including the cap) and 52 cm across (53 cm including the cap).

• radiator.jpeg
    radiator.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 76
Jonathan-is it tomorrow already over there?? c",) Very informative pic-Thanx! -I will pop over to the garage tomorrow to measure the
R5rad.to be sure.. Yours seems to be fitted on the 2 brackets some-
what higher than the battery-'shelf' correct? -R.

Hiyah, no I'm not using BB for going to Belgium, I drive a Renault Master for work, a great vehicle but it still hurts my back after 6 hours or so of driving.

It is of course my own fault, I hurt my back whilst changing all the Hennessey hot up kit from one engine to the other on the floor of my workshop!

If I'd just bothered to drive one car out I could have used the workbench!

Know what you mean-it's a Fact that it is much easier to climb all over wobbly piles of parts and cars than actually getting these sorted out
-and it gives you all the good valid reasons to swear and grumble
-Which I quite like -as I like people to Hear I'm hard at work!
we used to smear hands and faces with grease so everytime we crossed in front of the teachers office-window he thought we were Doing something -while we were actually popping outside tuning our Vespas or Lambrettas............................. -R.

Hello again, it is tomorrow now :) I thought I'd get back to you as soon as possible otherwise I might forget the measurements!

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the brackets and the height of the battery shelf. The picture makes it look like the radiator is higher than the battery shelf, but this is not true. The battery shelf is higher than the bottom of the radiator. The bottom of the radiator is just above the gearbox. The two brackets which join the cross-member to the top of the radiator slope downwards from the cross-member to the radiator. The brackets are definitely higher than the battery shelf, in fact they are about the height of the top of the battery.

Hope that helps??

P.S. The car is LHD.

hi reidalpine been a a while since ive had time to read every single post on here
did you get hold of the brackets on the chassis that the engine mounts sit on as you will need them b4 the engine can go back in which may make you unpopular if the garage are held up waiting

have got r5 1300 rad in my 1647 yellow peril think there are some pics somewhere fits fine
lastly found a new rear f4 bumper i was going to use on mine but for sale if you are interested (along with new tailgate ?)

paul

Jonathan! measured the R5 rad just now and it should fit as it is actually a little bit smaller than your measurements.
-My mistake I didn't explain more clearly... what I meant was that the bottom of the rad.looks to be mounted higher -or at level with battery-shelf.. I think I will be ok as long as I can get the two mounting-brackets that holds the rad at the bottom.. -R.

Glad the R5 rad will fit.

I think that it is just the photograph which makes it look like the rad is higher than the battery shelf. It is definitely lower.

:)

Hi Paul! What?-you mean you're not starting Each and Every day by reading the Text of the day???? Oh dear oh dear!
-NO I did not get the brackets on the chassis :-( I'v got the brackets on the engine complete with rubber-cushion and one bolt protruding rubber... Do I need more? I haven't got a partscatalog for the R5 so am unsure about this...Am I going to be unpopular??
I already have the rear F4 bumper for the trailerproject,but thanx for offering it! No luck so far re.the tailgate-Got an offer from France but all too costly to get it sent,so might end up doing the frontpart of trailer up in fibreglass using tailgate as pattern.Not
a preferred solution but....
PARTS URGENTLY NEEDED: (so far) in addition to the crossmember/gearstick-support/guide already mentioned.
2 bottom-brackets for frontmounted radiator (these sits inside of R+L front frames fastened w.1 bolt each) ANY/ALL offers GREATLY APPRECIATED :hug: -R.

To all you Good people! Thanx Much each and everyone for assisting with pixes/advice -and also as it seems the needed parts or most of them (laurels to be distributed later)

-I've got one (silly)? question to ask which I haven't thought about be4 .
Am I right in thinking Renault changed to both a smaller battery-shelf/tray And moved it a bit higher to clear rad-pipe going between (under) tray and front-traverse when rad was moved up front??
-measuring clearance between these on Roffen it will be a VERY tight squeeze to get the bottom-hose in there-And the rad will need some serious clicks of vaseline if to clear the bottom of bonnet when opening/shutting...
-I thought I'd cut about 5cm off of front of battery-tray.and make new ledge to it.Battery mounted to the rear of tray so will still be ok,then file the 2 mountingholes in an upside-down and reversed L-shape to be able to lift and move tray a couple cm back. some3-4cm should do it. The other bracket I'll leave as is as this is held in place between other parts so will be ok just to relocate and screw down again.
Running in and out the door measuring several times, mumbling two-six-four etc. to myself,wife thinks I soon ougth to get a more normal life-If I suddenly should go all quiet on here-Please send out a posse as wife most likely have admitted me to the place where they tread the floss into the candice-sugar and others mark the 3 circles found ontop of all coconuts -R.

The hose passes underneath the battery tray, its a very tight squeeze!

Back