Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Custom stealth garage opener

Ricardo Mota

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share with you something i've made. Maybe some of you would also like to do this.
I didn't want to change the visible interior of the car and i also hate having something extra to carry around, so i made this.
Can you tell the top switch is not a dummy one anymore? It even presses down on the right as all the other ones do :)

• IMG_20170305_183543.jpg
    IMG_20170305_183543.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 7
how you do that with a blank?

I don't really like bacalhau except on christmas :)

Eoynteenie: if you want you can gut the inside of the blank button and glue it on any appropriate sized push button from eBay. However, if you do that the switch will press down, not to the right (in EU cars) as the other R4 buttons. I didn't want that.
In order to have the button working in the same way as the original ones i used a broken switch - i used the hazard lights. You will need to change its internals a little so it makes contact when you press and looses contact if you don't.
Sorry if I'm not able to be more clear.
If you wish to do this i can try to help you out. I can take mine apart to show you some pictures.

IMG_8862.JPG
Eoynteenie: if you want you can gut the inside of the blank button and glue it on any appropriate sized push button from eBay. However, if you do that the switch will press down, not to the right (in EU cars) as the other R4 buttons. I didn't want that.
In order to have the button working in the same way as the original ones i used a broken switch - i used the hazard lights. You will need to change its internals a little so it makes contact when you press and looses contact if you don't.
Sorry if I'm not able to be more clear.
If you wish to do this i can try to help you out. I can take mine apart to show you some pictures.

Of course here in the U.K. Our RHD cars have the blank switch at the bottom. When wanting a manual switch for the radiator fan, I used a heated rear window rocker switch and painted it red.

I think it looks very nice in red. Kind of like a Bond car :)
But why do you need to manually start the radiator fan? To prevent it overheating?

Yes Ricardo, I don't trust the fan to kick in as it should. It happens sometimes but not other times. Even with the fan on, the temp still rises to 100c as it did yesterday.

Oh ok. Stupid question: how do you know the temperature? Did you install a temp meter?

Nevermind Paul, i just saw your post. The fan on my GTL spins very nicely, fortunately. So i hope i wont have to worry about overheating issues anytime soon - fingers crossed.

Back