Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Differential Cap Advice

Billancourt

Enthusiast
Hi All

I would be grateful of advice regarding the gearbox differential end cap. I removed the end cap to change the oil seal and 'O' ring due to an oil leak. The end cap was pretty well seized on and I managed to damage some of the teeth in the removal process. I have sourced a used replacement end cap which I would like to fit instead of the old damaged one. However, I am wondering about the differential bearing race which is located in the end cap. I was wondering if I should remove the race from the old end cap and place it in the new end cap as I imagine the old race has evenly bedded in with the bearing over the years. Even though the race in the new differential end cap has some wear I imagine it will not necessarily be the same amount of wear as the old race. Images attached (red arrow pointing at race in second image). Any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Thanks in Advance.

R4 Differential Cap.JPG R4 Differential Cap b.jpg

Tapered bearings are always matched pairs regarding their two parts. Therefore you have to use the outer race that was on the gearbox - the one on the damaged cap. It's not easy to remove it from the cap without damaging it. Fit is not particularly tight but there is nowhere to tap or press on, the ony way is with a special expanding puller of appropriate size.
Obviously you won't be able to restore bearing preload setting, but there is a more or less accurate method to do it without having to dismantle the gearbox to measure preload. Tighten the bearing cap until the outer race contacts the bearing, then tighten it one more tooth.

Hi Angel

Thank you for the advice it is much appreciated. I thought this might be the case. I have only ever fitted tapered wheel bearings and I had a feeling the same rule would apply. ie.The race needs to match the bearing.

Best Wishes

Back