Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Distributor advice

beagle

Enthusiastic amateur
My Renault 4 is currently in many pieces, one bit I actually putting back together rather than taking apart is the distributor. It a Ducellier one with R268c52 stamped on the side from a 1992 1.0. It has a sort of spring tensioner device for the vacuum advance (shown in the pic), I’m not sure what setting of the ratchet bit it should be on.

My Haynes manual doesn’t seem to cover it. Any ideas would be most welcome.

• dizzy.JPG
    dizzy.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 129
You will need a distributor testing device and a vacuum pump to set it correctly. I can imagine it could be done on the car with a vacuum pump and timing light, if you have data for the C52 vac advance curve. I have never touched this cam.

Thanks Angel, I only have a timing light though and no data. However there are only 14 settings, If I was to try the car on every one I would eventually find the right one, right?

my only advice is the further round you turn the cam the harder it is to get the vac advance to operate so in extreme pinking cases this can help if static timing is correct

fully slackend it will over advance but as r4s need timing by experimentingto get best performance with modern petrol , all part of the fun !

plus you are lucky if you had a Femsa - vac advance wouldnt work at all !!

Back