Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Drive shaft removal

kevinandkate

Sadly no longer an owner
Looking in the Haynes manual it appears there is a special tool needed to help remove the inner CV joints from the dif housing. Has anyone found a way round removing them without the tool. It appears to be a ring which goes around the CV joint with 2 rods leading back to a knurled wheel.

I'd never noticed that before - you are right. Looks like it is intended to compress the driveshaft to it's shortest length before removing it from the gearbox. You can do that by hand without the special tool.

Thanks Malcolm, there is a slight split in the gaitor which Ive used some whizzo glue on but was checking just in case it had to come off. I have never trusted the split gaitors you can buy.

It is normally possible to buy the full gaitor. Bit of a pain to fit as you have to pull the CV joint apart (just a three pronged clip, nothing too messy) to fit the new gaitor, and devise a cone shaped thing made from an old oil can to persuade the small end that fits onto the shaft over a great big bit of CV joint.

Oh and I find heating the boot in the microwave whilst the other halfs not looking makes them far more flexible and they slide over sweetly then!

Ive got a Air operated stretcher:D so there..lol

its so so easy

Show off! Haven't got a decent purple twingo bonnet though have you!!! :p

Thanks for reminding me of the rusty bonnet....:D

i used to have one of those plastic cones...they were good.
i remember when i first started working for a renault dealer we used to have these chrome cv boot stretchers...only one problem with them...you had to strip the cv joint down.....nightmare

It is a bit easier if you strip the inside CV joint, remove its gaiter and pass the outer gaiter from the inner end, no need for stretchers.

if you have no balance weight stuck in the middle of the shaft...lol

The Haynes Chronicles.

I don't think anybody in this organisation ever actually stripped down anything on the later models :( - the sparse add-on supplements are more fictional not factual.:rolleyes: I would'nt touch the driveshaft(s) until you've sussed out every other possible job needed requiring d/shaft/hub dissembly/drain g/box etc. ;) i.e. replacing............top/bottom b/joints, wheel bearings, brake disks, leaking output diff seals and knackered d/shafts + gaiters. Thorough testing/assessment can save a huge amount of duplicated effort given the 'embuggerence factor' involved :shock: and do it all in a 'onner' :cool:......................... I learned the hard way. :(
BTW. A straight swop exchange refurb. gtl shaft is only £40 at my local factor ......... no exotic tools required - cheaper/easier for diy/amateurs living in genteel penury like monself, unless your a sadist or masochist if you're working solo. :)

Thanks for that Le champ, I will have a look and see if any other tasks in that area are needed before launching into whacking myself with brambles as light releif.

Back