Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Driving in snow

charlesa

Enthusiast
Good morning all,
could I ask what Renault 4's are like to drive generally in snow ?
I see that we are due a fair amount over the next few days in Hampshire and I thought that I would use the Renault for my station runs being light, FWD with narrow tyres (not winter tyres).
Any views please as I have never driven it in snow before ?
Best wishes
Charles

Infinitely better, with a pair of proper snow tyres on the front wheels, than any 4 x 4 (particularly a Chelsea Tractor with wimpy road tyres).

Can’t comment on using narrow road tyres. I suspect this would be counterproductive as the contact patch would be less, hence pressure per square inch greater, hence possibly more prone to melt the snow (I presume you are aware that snow/ice melts when subjected to pressure) and make things more slippery rather than less. Snow tyres are wide : the imposed pressure is lower and the special tread does all the work by digging in.

I would def go for proper studless winther-tyres.Going straight ahead usual no problem,but if breaking or steering in corners /sloping road
you'd slide with very little or no control.. If a few cm creaking snow you'd be better off with slimmer tyres as what you really want IS a smaller heavier "footprint". Black ice and such is another matter .I would recommend you get an inner-hose cut and fill with sand tie up and put right
over rear-axle or a litlle forward of this... that way you won't see the derriere of the car passing you in a corner..
The slim tyre-size is actually one of the advantages on the R4 if tackling snow...Lots of R4 owners in the good old days used
to carry on on their summertyres in the snow due to this-I would't recommend it as, I'm sure you need to be properly shod to avoid getting
into trouble with your insurer if you slid into cars or people due to not suitable tyres...
-Not saying I know the last thing about snow/sleath/cold/damp but they're all known to visit regularly here in Norwayland
that's my two-cents for you c",) -R.

I'd add the following comments as regards snow driving, which are not really Renault 4 specific, but might be useful:
1/ BEFORE driving off, make sure your windows are clear and that your car's lights are in good order. Don't rely on your car's wipers and demister to clear them; they'll keep the windows clear once they ARE clear, but might not clear them to start with. Make sure your screen wash bottle filled with a non-freezing solution.
2/ Accelerate and brake G-E-N-T-L-Y at all times and try to keep in as high a gear as possible. This reduces the torque delivered to the wheels and makes the car less likely to wheel spin.
3/ Slow down before cornering more than you normally would, as the forces acting on the car will not be as easily restrained by the tyres. Indicate clearly.
4/ (Odd one, this...) Keep the car radio OFF and open the windows at junctions. Cars make less noise when driving on snow, so listening carefully you're more likely to hear the crunching sound of car tyres on the snow.
5/ Make sure your mobile's fully charged.
6/ Carry some old sacking in the back, to be placed under the front wheels to get you rolling if you are stuck. Attach lengths of string to these sacks, and tie the string to the door handles before driving over the sacking. This will avoid the need to stop and recover the sacking and allow you to keep going until you're on terra firma before picking the sacks up! A spade's handy too.
7/ Wellington boots and a really warm coat in the passenger compartment, not in the boot, so you can easily grab them, instead of having to get out of the car in freezing conditions to put them on!

Good luck......

Personally Id also head to the biggest local carpark your familiar with once you get fresh snow ( mine used to be Wembley Stadium!), hope its empty, place yourself in the middle and practice where your cars limits are,and how to bring it under contol, then stay well clear of them once on the road! Hendon Police College hasnt got a skid pan for nothing...

There were 4 "town & country" tyres on PL-99-36 when I bought her last March.. Haven't had the opportunity to put them through their paces yet.
New Year's Day 2019. Most parts of the Algarve. 21*c
N.20181010_114624.jpg20190127_113133.jpg

A few years ago, I couldn't reach our driveway, so just decided to go cross country, on a field full of snow. I had standard 135 tyres and nearly made it all the way. Had to get pushed for the last 10-15 meters as I just bogged down.

I used my R4 two times on the snow, two years ago I took it on a trip on the mountains under the snow, but I had winter tyres (and I didn't need snow chains) and last sunday, I had summer tyres but the roads were clean and on snow it spinned a little more than I expected.
otPut3d.jpg

Last edited:
Snow tyres do make a difference to the amount of available grip but narrow tyres work surprisingly well even if they are 'normal' tyres as they seem to be able to 'dig in' (not a technical term) better than wider ones.

Thanks again everyone. Expecting a reasonable amount of the white stuff on Thursday so will heed all the advice above. I have driven in snow many times before but usually in Land Rovers, never in the "4" thus far. Will report back.

Morning all.
Well nowhere near as much snow as it Mojobaby's video above but still about 4" in Hampshire.
The "4" behaved impeccably through some untreated country lanes and a few hills to the station..
Thanks for all the comments above everyone.

We drive in snow a fair bit. The Quatrelle is certainly better than the Ami 8 which just doesn't have enough weight over the front wheels. I 'm a big fan of snow socks which are can be on in thirty seconds if I 'm swithering over the necessity of faffing about with chains. Good quality chains are more effective than "supermarket" chains by a factor of several. We don't have good quality snow tyres on either old car whereas the everyday Berlingo has top quality Continental winter tyres which are really very impressive if a little noisy.

Plenty of amusing videos of snow fun on youtube - pack a shovel, rope and waterproof trews!

We had about 12 cms of snow near RAF Odiham, Hampshire that dumped down late Friday and caused absolute chaos. The M3 was closed due to a couple of lorries jackknifing. So everyone's satnav sent their cars through Odiham and surrounding villages including mine. There the rear wheel drive stuff couldn't cope so people abandoned their cars thereby blocking everyone else ! The Renault behaved superbly. It got me back from the station on Friday night. On Saturday after the road through the village was made passable it spent the day delivering supplies to the elderly. At no point did it struggle with the snow or the ice that had formed. It handled better than any other car in the area, including the 4x4s !
My nephew works in the Renault finance team at the Head Office in Paris. I have told him this and suggested he informs the Renault PR team !
Bravo !!

Back