Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

E10 and Renault/Volvo Cléon engines

Andy McGhee

Enthusiast
This website has some interesting information about E10:

It says: 'E10 can be used in all Volvo cars from 1976 equipped with genuine Volvo parts and with petrol as fuel.'

I remember from scrapyard visits in the 80s and 90s that some of the Volvo 340 series cars were fitted with a Cléon engine. Were parts like fuel lines/tank/sender/pump//filler pipe//carb (Weber?) float//various gaskets made to a higher specification than those fitted to Cléon-engined Renaults?

Is anyone using E10 with an additive on a regular basis?

Weren’t the earlier 340 with a cleon 1.4 really Daf’s rebadged Volvo, with the belt auto boxes in the rear axle?( built in Holland at exDaf plants),, think it was more Saab than Volvo that during this period bought in engines/designs that then the in-house engineers took it upon to improve, FordV4 colonge,(96), Triumph Dolomite (99), later GM ohc/dohc engines. Think Volvo developed by changing for their own in house designs later in 340’s lifespan.

Weren’t the earlier 340 with a cleon 1.4 really Daf’s rebadged Volvo, with the belt auto boxes in the rear axle?( built in Holland at exDaf plants),, think it was more Saab than Volvo that during this period bought in engines/designs that then the in-house engineers took it upon to improve, FordV4 colonge,(96), Triumph Dolomite (99), later GM ohc/dohc engines. Think Volvo developed by changing for their own in house designs later in 340’s lifespan.
I'm sure you're right, Ian. I'm just interested that the site I mentioned above says that all petrol Volvos (apart from a couple of exceptions) from 76 are E10 compatible. According to Wikipedia, the 343 came out in February 76.
At the moment I'm running the cars and van on E5, but this isn't always available in the remoter parts of the UK, and - unlike for France - there's no really reliable website with maps showing which petrol stations sell E5 here. I'd really like to hear about R4 owners' experiences of using E10 with an additive.
Hope the F6 rebuild is coming on well!

Yes. I'm both a member of the Daf club and an owner of a Daf and I can confirm that the Volvo 343 was effectively a Daf 77 in all but name. Daf needed greater investment to develop their belt-drive systems and Volvo were looking for an "in" into the (as it was then called) the European Community, of which Sweden was not a member. The result was a mutually advantageous arrangement, with Volvo developing the design of the 66 and th 343, which were sold as Volvos, and taking the air cooled 44, fitting it with the De-Dion rear axle and half the transmission from a 66 & badging it as a 46! The 33, of which I own one, was quietly dropped....

Back