Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Easy front torsion bar removal

hal7600

Enthusiast
I stripped my '83 TL all the way down to the chassis with just the front torsion bars left in place. I then read the posts on torsion bar removal, and even had advice that they were dangerous to remove with the body and engine off.

Being a bold sort I ignored it all....and gingerly removed first the single small and then the two large bolts that hold the rear of the bar, and away they came easy-peasy.

They must have been under some tension, as the image shows. So any ideas why it all went so smoothly?

• DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 242
There's not much tension left in the torsion bars after the driveshafts have been removed and the lower wishbone disconnected from the upright and the forward stay. You can reduce tension to nothing by removing the lower bolts where the brace under the engine is fitted and loosening (but not removing) the upper bolts. This allows the lower wishbone to drop to an untensioned position.

Be sure to mark the spline positions at both ends in case the mountings come off when the torsion bars are in storage.

Back