Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electric conversion?

Oliver

I’ve been yearning after a R4 for ages, my mum had a couple when I was a kid in the ‘80s. Whilst still keeping an eye out, I’m wondering whether anyone has looked into converting to electric- would the batteries fit nicely into the chassis to keep the weight low and central? Perhaps a Zoe donor for the battery and motor..
I guess if it’s do-able then I’ll be looking for a decent chassis and not be bothered if the engine runs.
Any thoughts welcome!

Working on one now. Will do a write up at some point. I am using an HPEVS AC30 coupled to the existing gearbox, without clutch. A pack made from Nissan Leaf battery modules sits above the motor giving 13.3 KWh. This should be good for 40 - 50 miles. An additional 13.3KWh pack can be mounted in the boot for longer journeys but is removable for more space.
If starting from scratch now I would consider using a Leaf motor as well.

Working on one now. Will do a write up at some point. I am using an HPEVS AC30 coupled to the existing gearbox, without clutch. A pack made from Nissan Leaf battery modules sits above the motor giving 13.3 KWh. This should be good for 40 - 50 miles. An additional 13.3KWh pack can be mounted in the boot for longer journeys but is removable for more space.
If starting from scratch now I would consider using a Leaf motor as well.
Brilliant, I’m sure we’ll all be keen to see the end result. Best of luck.

Back