Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electric Oil Pressure Gauge

Well its good to know you are not alone in the head scratching, but there did not appear to be a resolution to be found there either. :(

What is the resistance between sender and earth cables, with the gauge disconnected?

When you have your multimeter I expect you'll discover quite a few unusual things. I'd be interested in the voltage across some circuits, together with current flows. Something tells me there's a dead short somewhere.....

Last edited:
To answer Angel's question.
Resistance is 272 with gauge disconnected.

This sounds reasonable, no short on the wiring or sender unit. If you let the engine running resistance should decrease.
Seems that the problem is the gauge itself.

Check what happens if you disconnect (-) terminal completely, but leave the sender terminal on.

Check what happens if you disconnect (-) terminal completely, but leave the sender terminal on.
Angel, I had stripped the gauge out as it had stopped going back to zero. With ignition off it stays at about 20psi. I have now used 2 different gauges and 3 sender units. 2 senders came with the gauges and teh 3rd was a Durite sender purchased separately. So am unable to do what you suggest at this moment in time.
More later.

Back