Engine cutting out when stationary..

Rob Gosev

Enthusiast
Any tips at what I need to do to resolve the engine cutting out

No issues while driving but when stopping at roundabout and lights etc

Foot on the accl and obv it holds

Is it an adjustment? Any help would be appreciated

Hi Rob

It could well be just that it is ticking over too slowly and an adjustment at the idling screw might be all that is required.
Agreed. If you follow the accelerator linkage to the carburettor you'll find a screw adjuster. Turn it a quarter turn clockwise at a time and take the car for a run over the same route each time & see if it still stalls. Remember the engine has to warm up fully and the choke should be fully "in" as well before comparing things.

Yes, that's the one. Warm the engine up first, then give the screw a quarter turn CLOCKWISE, screwing it IN, which should increase the tick-over speed a little. It's a fine adjustment, so adjust it carefully.

Agreed. If you follow the accelerator linkage to the carburettor you'll find a screw adjuster. Turn it a quarter turn clockwise at a time and take the car for a run over the same route each time & see if it still stalls. Remember the engine has to warm up fully and the choke should be fully "in" as well before comparing things.
Yes, that's the one. Warm the engine up first, then give the screw a quarter turn CLOCKWISE, screwing it IN, which should increase the tick-over speed a little. It's a fine adjustment, so adjust it carefully.
Hmm not sure what I’ve done wrong the choke seems quite powerful now … is there a screw for that I messed up

Yes I must have had it slight on and missed it

Ahh man I feel like I messed it now turning the screw back doesn’t seem to help

Choke seems so strong moment and doesn’t turn down

Hi Rob

Easy to rectify. Make sure the choke is off and turn the idling screw a 1/4 of a turn at a time anti-clockwise until the engine starts to slow down, to the point where the engine is not racing nor wanting to cut out at idle.

Thanks so much!

Hi Rob

Easy to rectify. Make sure the choke is off and turn the idling screw a 1/4 of a turn at a time anti-clockwise until the engine starts to slow down, to the point where the engine is not racing nor wanting to cut out at idle.

I think I settled it somewhat with the choke off might need to tweak a bit further

But when I pull the choke is it expected to race ? Because the engine is hot or I haven’t tweaked enough ?

And that racing wouldn’t be the case when cold

Or perhaps I need to adjust further as I said

When the engine has warmed up you need to ensure the choke is completely "off", meaning the control is fully pushed in, as even a slightly open choke will affect the tick-over speed. Pulling out the choke does two things: it enriches the mixture AND raises the tick-over speed, so you need to ensure it's fully "off". It's a good thing to adjust the control to that the control is a little "proud" even when it's fully "in" so that by pushing it in against resistance you know it's fully "in".

Back